free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: consular processing vs AOS

Dear Everyone , I am applying for an AOS (from b1 b2 ) since i am here in US and my son is naturalising . My wife is in home country and we will get consular processing done for her . My queries are :
    1 ) Which one is quicker ..consular processing or getting AOS ..How much time approx will both the processes take ?

2 ) what all forms do I have to send to my wife to get her consular processing ?

3 ) in how much time approx will I get my green card here in US ?

Thanks for reading . Looking forward to all replies . Have a nice day .

Dear Everyone , I am applying for an AOS (from b1 b2 ) since i am here in US and my son is naturalising . My wife is in home country and we will get consular processing done for her . My queries are :
    1 ) Which one is quicker ..consular processing or getting AOS ..How much time approx will both the processes take ?

2 ) what all forms do I have to send to my wife to get her consular processing ?

3 ) in how much time approx will I get my green card here in US ?

Thanks for reading . Looking forward to all replies . Have a nice day .

So, first your son has to naturalize...

After that, he sponsors you for green card. That may take 4 - 12 months.

After you become Permanent resident, you can sponsor your wife. When PR files for a spouse, it takes 4 - 5 years before the spouse can either immigrate (get immigrant visa at the consulate) or do AOS (if LEGALY in the US). This is because in the category "spouses of PR" only a certain number of visas are issued per year.

How old was your son when you married your current wife?

Is your wife the mother of your son? If so, he can apply for her (as a U.S. Citizen) by filing an I-130 Petition with the Service Center with jurisdiction over his state of residence.

Dear Aneri and Newlyminted ,
    Thanks for your replies . Yes my wife is very much mother of my son and by saying "we will get consular processing done for her " I meant my son is going to sponsor us both ..since i am here in US he will apply for AOS for me and since my wife (his mother ) is in home country he will apply for consular procesing in home country ,
    How much time does consular processing take ..was my query .
    Thanks

sorry GC20, I misunderstood ...

Your son files I-130 for his mother and indicates she is not in the US. After the approval, NVC will send a few forms to the son to fill out and send back. After that's done, NVC will send the file to the consulate, and the consulate will contact your wife with the requirements for an immigrant visa (like medical, police report..). I can't thnik of any document you need to send to your wife at the moment.

Look at timelines for I-130 processing, add 1 - 3 months for NVC phase, and the rest depends on the consulate in your contry (in some it takes weeks, in others many many months).

The day your son files petition for his parents the total process will take more or less one year. Provided the petitioner and the benificiary send all the required doccuments which USCIS or NVC request for. It goes like this:
    1) Your son files a petition for you and his mother separately, with USCIS. Filing fee $ 190

2) USCIS will approve it with in 5 to 6 months.

3) Then the case will be forwarded to NVC if not requested for AOS. Other wise as you want AOS then it will be forwarded to your requested service center.
    4) Then the service center or NVC whichever the case may be will ask your son to submit an affidavit of support. Fee $70

5) Then you will receive a chice of agent form.

6) Then the agent will receive Visa processing fee bill $380

7) After the bill is paid then they will schedule an interview with you for AOS or the Cosulate in the respective country will send a packet 3.5 to the benificiary which will include all the actions to be taken.

Good luck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The day your son files petition for his parents the total process will take more or less one year. Provided the petitioner and the benificiary send all the required doccuments which USCIS or NVC request for. It goes like this:
    1) Your son files a petition for you and his mother separately, with USCIS. Filing fee $ 190

2) USCIS will approve it with in 5 to 6 months.

3) Then the case will be forwarded to NVC if not requested for AOS. Other wise as you want AOS then it will be forwarded to your requested service center.
    4) Then the service center or NVC whichever the case may be will ask your son to submit an affidavit of support. Fee $70

5) Then you will receive a chice of agent form.

6) Then the agent will receive Visa processing fee bill $380

7) After the bill is paid then they will schedule an interview with you for AOS or the Cosulate in the respective country will send a packet 3.5 to the benificiary which will include all the actions to be taken.

Good luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Young man and aneri ,
    ") USCIS will approve it with in 5 to 6 months"
    What is my status in this 5-6 months ..am here on b1b2 and my authorised stay is until july end . my son will file petition for me next month .

Hmmm....5-6 months will be after your petition has been filed. Not from now. So if he files now then hopefully your status will be adjusted by the time your authorized stay ends i.e July 07. Untill then you are a tourist, not allowed to work. So be careful not to indulge in any activity which prohibits a tourist. For more details please check:
    http://www.uscis.gov

I recently read on the govt website that they're doing away with consular filings. Not sure when the deadline is...