free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: To Mohan and all Friends on ilw.com about Advance Parole and Info-pass

Hello Mohan and Friends,
    I am applying for my Advance parole soon but before that I would like to talk to an immigration officer here in Philly about my case about would I have any problems reentering the US on AP. As far as I know I have never been out-of status and I am married to USC and currently waiting on GC and Name check. My question is I have never done this Info-pass thing before. Do I have to make an appointment via info-pass to check my status with an immigration officer in person in Philly? As it is such a important matter I want to meet INS officers in person before applying for AP. If I have to make an appointment do I have to call the information # or should I do it online? Which is better? While talking to the immigration officer here in Philly is there a chance that they might tell me to go to Chicago as I had filed in Chicago and not in Philly. I think they should have access to my file right? I have also heard that since my case is post interview stage the file stays in Chicago and does not get transferred to Philly even though I moved 4 months ago and INS was informed about that. Is that true? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much mohan and friends

Raju

Hello Mohan and Friends,
    I am applying for my Advance parole soon but before that I would like to talk to an immigration officer here in Philly about my case about would I have any problems reentering the US on AP. As far as I know I have never been out-of status and I am married to USC and currently waiting on GC and Name check. My question is I have never done this Info-pass thing before. Do I have to make an appointment via info-pass to check my status with an immigration officer in person in Philly? As it is such a important matter I want to meet INS officers in person before applying for AP. If I have to make an appointment do I have to call the information # or should I do it online? Which is better? While talking to the immigration officer here in Philly is there a chance that they might tell me to go to Chicago as I had filed in Chicago and not in Philly. I think they should have access to my file right? I have also heard that since my case is post interview stage the file stays in Chicago and does not get transferred to Philly even though I moved 4 months ago and INS was informed about that. Is that true? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much mohan and friends

Raju

What are the issues that make you think you would have problems upon re-entry with AP? No matter what the immigration officer tells you at an Infopass appointment, he/she cannot be held responsible for issuing you bad advice. Reasons one should not use AP would include having accrued >180 days of unlawful presence, etc. Is there such a problem in your background? As always, allowing you entry to the US is at the discretion of the officer at the POE. This is true if you are travelling on AP or if you have been a green card holder for 30 years. Unless you have some outstanding issue in your past, I'm not sure why you are worrying so much about this.

And, I should emphasize, if you ever have questions about your status or immigration decisions, the person to consult with is an immigration attorney -- NOT an immigration officer.

I would recommend against an Infopass appointment in this case. Talk to an attorney if you have any doubts.

As long as you are under some valid AOS process, (ie: Marriage to a USC AOS, I-751, etc...), you can, and should, file for your AP according to the filing instructions for that form. A separate INFOPASS app't will not shed any more light on that - just go tho the INS website and you will get all the answers you need regarding the AP application.

Once your AP is processed and you have it in hand, you can travel with that AP. Remember that you only need the AP if you have an AOS application pending. If you already have valid status, ie - Temporary GC or I-551, 10yr GC, etc then you do not need AP. - once again do the research online at the INS site.

However, and this is important, if you are awaiting for your AOS to be processed, you MUST have the AP before travelling. Otherwise you will not be allowed back into the US.

BTW - INFOPASS is simply an online method of booking an appointment at your DSC. Most DSC's will only allow those with INFOPASS app'ts to come in.

ARQU

Additionally...

When you moved, I assume that you filed the AR-11 as well as sending a letter to your local DSC and thirdly contacted the '800 number to notify the regional center? You must seperatly notify each office that is involved with any pending cases.

It may help others clarify all this if you were a bit more specific about your current status (AOS, I-751, Employment AOS, Out of status, etc)

ARQU

you will not have any problem entering on AP. You have to use info pass to get an appointment with DHS officer. under the new info pass system ther is no walk-ins.
    Once you formally inform And filled AR -11 you will get your further corrospondence at new address. within this time your file either transfered or in the middle of transfer but you should expect answer @ new address if you notified DHS formally.
    Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Hi sphyrapicus3,
    First of all thank you so much for your response. I have been in the US from 98 and until now I have taken 2 trips to India facing NO problems what so ever. But lot of things have changed from my last trip in 2001. I would be travelling (international) for the first time after 9/11 so I really don't know how immigration has changed since that time. Second during my old visits I had a valid visa and a valid I-20 with a reason of coming to the US (I was a student) And now things have changed so much as in I don't have a valid visa nor a valid I-20 (both expired) no more nor I am a student anymore. So just relying on a simple document as AP sounds really weak to me. Having valid EAD does not help either. I have heard of horror stories where people have been sent back just cause they had a day overstay or that they have a valid visa to enter but were not let in just cause the Immigration officer thought he is an immigrant and when you hear all these stories right here on this board it makes you feel how safe is it really to travel on a AP and hence the concerns. Bottom line is even if I have every document up-to-date I don't want to be sent back home just cause the person is having a bad day or he is having some personal problems at home. I have nothing to hide nor I have anything in my background as in overstay or anything of that sort. Better to be safe then sorry hope you understand. Now I also realise that having a valid AP is not a gareentee entry but asking a lot of people just raises ones confidence you know what I mean right? Anyway thank you so much for your response.

Raju

Hi ARQU,
    Thank you so much for your response. Yes i am married to USC and i am currently just waiting to clear my NAME CHECK from FBI. It has been more then 30 months now in the whole process and i am still waiting. Who knows what is going on. My wife and me have contected the FBI and got no where. Our only last resort is talking to a senator or a congressman and reading some of the postings here looks like even that is not helping people. So we are basically lost and hence we are looking in to the AP process. So what we decided was we will talk to INS themselves about how risky is it to use their own issued document. I just want to see my parents that is all. And hence the question about INFOPASS so if the INS themself say no problem then I will apply for AP this week. As far as informing the INS about our address is concerned well they have everything. I sent letters to Chicago, Philly and even to Washington DC plus we sent letters to FBI and results of all this?....still waiting and still pending for more then 30 months now.

Raju

Ps All the letters I sent were certified and all the agencies have responded sending me receipt confimations.

Hi Mohan,
    Thank you so much for your response. My question is how is that people who applied in 2004 are getting GC and people like myself who applied in 2002 are still waiting? How is this possible? We are so lost and helpless. Second Is it true that since my case is after AOS interview now that my file stays in Chicago and does not get transferred to Philly? As always thank you so much for your help.

Raju