50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Buying a Home On the Border

Greetings all, I am new to this board so forgive me if this is a common question.
    I work in the U.S./Minnesota and am only 4 miles from the border. What are the laws concerning buying a home in Canada, living there fulltime but remaining a U.S. citizen. The wife would work as well in the States.
    Thank you.
    Karl

Greetings all, I am new to this board so forgive me if this is a common question.
    I work in the U.S./Minnesota and am only 4 miles from the border. What are the laws concerning buying a home in Canada, living there fulltime but remaining a U.S. citizen. The wife would work as well in the States.
    Thank you.
    Karl

Hi Jay,

you can live anywhere in the world for as long as you want. That has nothing to do with your US citizenship.

I don't understand what you wrote about your wife. Would she live in Canada and work in the States?

Is she US citizen? resident?

You are free to live in another country and work in the States. There will be obstacles, however. Many government jobs require that you be residing in the US. Also, many contests, programs, and sweepstakes require that you reside in the States. I have been living in Mexico and working in the US for nearly two years now. I have had only a few problems. I cannot have a PO box because I have "abandoned" my residence in the STates according the the Post Office. Also, I have trouble registering my car in the United States.
    Have a nice day

The UPS stores and the likes are nice alternatives for PO BOX address.

In order to live in Canada full time one of you must be either a citizen or a landed immigrant. You need to check and see if the US allows dual citizenship (I do no think they do.)If you are Canadian and you take on American citizenship you can keep your Canadian citizenship - not sure about the other way.If you become a landed immigrant, you maintain your other citizenship.

Otherwise, you may purchase a home and "reside" there for six months over a year.

You need to check into taxes so you don't get into a double tax bind with both countries taxing you.

In US, BTW, "Canadian" is also a code word for Mexican.
    Which explains the content of some posts where some "Canadian" Citizens claim to be unable to come to US (Almost impossible to imagine, under existing Bi-lateral agreements).

French speaking Mexicans. Ca c'est bon n'est pas?!

Are they related to the Americans who wear Canadian flags when they travel?