free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FRIEND IN NEED

I have a friend that her boyfriend is on a student visa and visa is going to be up this year and he no longer go to school because he can't afford to attend school anymore.
    They want to get married but doesn't want her to marry him just so he can stay in this country. Does anyone know what applications they would need to process for him to stay in this country? Please only good advice.

I have a friend that her boyfriend is on a student visa and visa is going to be up this year and he no longer go to school because he can't afford to attend school anymore.
    They want to get married but doesn't want her to marry him just so he can stay in this country. Does anyone know what applications they would need to process for him to stay in this country? Please only good advice.

are you asking for the apps to process for marriage? or are you looking for some other way for him to legally stay here?

If not getting married, then he should be looking for an employer to to sponser him before he goes out of status.

I AM LOOKING FOR INFORMATION FOR HIM TO STAY WITHOUT MARRIAGE.

IS FINDING A EMPLOYER TO SPONEER HIM THE ONLY OPITION?

get the money together and try to get I-20 fixed and stay in school.

Is that the only obtain to stay in school. But what happens to him now that he's not in school.

I guess the only obtain for my friend to do is marry him so he can stay. So what applications do she have to file since he's already in the country.

What is a I-20 I can't seem to find that application on http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm
    website

Originally posted by 4now:
    get the money together and try to get I-20 fixed and stay in school.

There are basically only a few ways to be legal in this country. The major headings are

tourism, school, work, refugee, relative

the one at the left end allows for the shortest period of stay, and the ones at the right can lead to permanent residence (including work, but only in certain situations) However, only relative petition is guaranteed to confer permanent resident status.

So, your friend will pretty much need to work within these areas. One man I know is trying to obtain permanent resident status via work (he is a college professor and an amazing researcher, so he hopes to show extraordinary abilities or something like that!)

Other than that, he may want to consider the marriage option, but do two ceremonies - legal that will help him obtain residency, and a religious one that is unclouded by immigration matters.

Or he might want to consider just accepting that as long as his intentions and thoughts are pure in this respect. As long as he loves this woman and wants to spend the rest of his life with her - does it really matter if there are a couple of added benefits. The marriage would be for the marriage, he would just happen to be eligible to obtain permanent residence....

thanks for the info

do you know of the I-20 application that was previously mentioned to me.

Originally posted by Spouse:
    There are basically only a few ways to be legal in this country. The major headings are

tourism, school, work, refugee, relative

the one at the left end allows for the shortest period of stay, and the ones at the right can lead to permanent residence (including work, but only in certain situations) However, only relative petition is guaranteed to confer permanent resident status.

So, your friend will pretty much need to work within these areas. One man I know is trying to obtain permanent resident status via work (he is a college professor and an amazing researcher, so he hopes to show extraordinary abilities or something like that!)

Other than that, he may want to consider the marriage option, but do two ceremonies - legal that will help him obtain residency, and a religious one that is unclouded by immigration matters.

Or he might want to consider just accepting that as long as his intentions and thoughts are pure in this respect. As long as he loves this woman and wants to spend the rest of his life with her - does it really matter if there are a couple of added benefits. The marriage would be for the marriage, he would just happen to be eligible to obtain permanent residence....

4now was basically just suggesting that the person in question remain a student. Perhaps apply for a graduate level degree or something.

I am not sure about what the appropriate forms are for this, but from looking at the website maybe 4now meant the I-17 - Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Student.

But I am sure that the school that he would attend would be helpful in that regard.