50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Being on welfare

My husband recently lost his job and in the interim of him searching for a new job, we are considering applying for welfare assistance. He is a PR and he has filed I130 on my behalf - will getting stuff like TANF and food stamps, medicaid etc affect him getting his citizenship when its time AND will it affect the I130 filing he did for me ??

My husband recently lost his job and in the interim of him searching for a new job, we are considering applying for welfare assistance. He is a PR and he has filed I130 on my behalf - will getting stuff like TANF and food stamps, medicaid etc affect him getting his citizenship when its time AND will it affect the I130 filing he did for me ??

LPRSpouse,
    How did he lose his job? Was he fired or laid off? If its the latter, I would first advice he goes for unemployment benefits, which are from your state's unemployment office. Those are STATE, having nothing to do with the US FEDERAL govt.The affidavit of support encompasses Federal funding ie public benefits are those from the federal government.

TANF(Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) program, and the WIC (Women Infants and Children) programs are federal funded, and are thus public funded and the affidavit of support MAY kick in.

Before I become USC, I would avoid ever being on public support because that does not look good, from a US government perspective because they dont want you to become a liability to the US public;they would rather you work and pay taxes.

Just as an aside, why cant your husband get another job even if its working at the local grocery store? Or is he sick? Please keep off US government assistance at this time-unless you have US citizen kids. This is the time you should both be doing your best to work, pay taxes and make yourself worthy of being allowed to stay here because you are contributing to move the economy. If you are a burden on the US government, why should they like you to hang around? I wouldnt.

Thanks John - My husband has applied or unemployment benefits which just approved yesterday - and he has an interview today - so thats good. I am on F1 visa - and in an advanced state of pregnancy - so work is out for me right now - but definitely after the baby - an on-campus job will be in order of course....

Yes he will try to stay off anything public for the reasons you mentioned- even though my other US born kid is on WIC and govt healthcare - but that is all because I am not working - if we were both working - I would be one less person on that list. My husband actually gave me the same reasons you did - but he was just not sure - so I decide to throw it out - to see what other people knew - so thanks man...

The ability to avoid means-tested benefits is not part of the citizenship process. It has no bearing. The risk of relying on means-tested benefits is that the OP's husband's sponsor will be liable for repaying the benefits back to the government. It does not affect the OP and her LPR husband, just the husband's financial sponsor.