Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatred, Hatred, and More Hatred of Latinos Spilling Across the Country

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...ore-ha_b_695928.html

I, my family, friends, and neighbors have all gotten called terrible names, sent hateful emails or been otherwise snubbed not based on citizenship or residency status, but because we "look foreign".

Excerpt from just one of the many letters I received after having included the phrase "the current anti-immigrant atmosphere" in a recent column:

Unfortunately you are mistaken in using the phrase 'anti-immigration atmosphere'. Many American citizens with brown, black, white, or even yellow skin are angry with ILLEGAL immigrants and the damage they have done to our country. If the millions of ILLEGAL immigrants, Hispanic/European/Asian etc, would have entered through the "front door" instead of the "back door", much aforementioned damage to our country would have been avoided. Now we have governments in bankruptcy due to these cheaters, and people are rightfully angry. You need to tone down your inflammatory rhetoric and see the issue realistically.

My standard response has been that while it's easy to say that the anger and hatred currently aimed at Latinos is about "ILLEGAL" immigration, the fact of the matter is that I, my family, friends, and neighbors have all gotten called terrible names, sent hateful emails or been otherwise snubbed not based on citizenship or residency status, but because we "look foreign."

The actual news reflects a growing number of violent acts against Hispanics. In Baltimore for three weekends in a row Hispanic men have been victims of violent crime; one just died from his shotgun injuries, another was beaten to death with a 2 x 2 wooden plank.

Baltimore officials arrested a 19-year-old man Saturday night after he gave a taped confession to police saying he "hated Hispanics."

Let me clarify here: he didn't say he hated illegal immigrants - he said he hated Hispanics.

Not convinced? Here is a teeny-tiny selection of emails - some just subject lines - that find their way into my inbox, none of which make any reference to citizenship status:

"Immigrants are the scum of the earth. Latinos are the worst of the worst. Execute this scum. Enforce the freaking law. Kill this vermin - DEAD, DEAD, DEAD!?"

"Mexico is a malevolent machine of evil malice. Why won't my country declare war on this evil menace - Mexico. Death to Mexico. Death to Mexicans.?"

"You are a spic **** *****"

Hatred is, in fact, boiling over in the U.S. against anyone who does not seem to be from this country - regardless of whether they are U.S. born, or legal permanent residents, or illegal immigrants, or not. (Sadly, it's not limited to those who look Latino, but is starting to boil over onto any brown-skinned individual who looks like they might be - GASP! - Muslim.)

So to all of those out there who dare say that the current anti-immigrant outrage is all just about legal residency status: stop kidding yourself because you aren't kidding anyone else.

The fact is that immigrant and non-immigrant Latinos alike are facing pure, bald-faced hatred, ire, and discrimination that goes well beyond perennial annoyances such as being asked how much you charge for mowing a lawn (if you should happen to garden in front of your nice house) or being asked if you "Habla English" for no apparent reason other than the looks of you.

The real question is: what are we going to do about it?

Esther J. Cepeda writes about hatred, love, and much, much, more on www.600words.com

Follow Esther J. Cepeda on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ejc600words
    http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...ore-ha_b_695928.html

I, my family, friends, and neighbors have all gotten called terrible names, sent hateful emails or been otherwise snubbed not based on citizenship or residency status, but because we "look foreign".

Excerpt from just one of the many letters I received after having included the phrase "the current anti-immigrant atmosphere" in a recent column:

Unfortunately you are mistaken in using the phrase 'anti-immigration atmosphere'. Many American citizens with brown, black, white, or even yellow skin are angry with ILLEGAL immigrants and the damage they have done to our country. If the millions of ILLEGAL immigrants, Hispanic/European/Asian etc, would have entered through the "front door" instead of the "back door", much aforementioned damage to our country would have been avoided. Now we have governments in bankruptcy due to these cheaters, and people are rightfully angry. You need to tone down your inflammatory rhetoric and see the issue realistically.

My standard response has been that while it's easy to say that the anger and hatred currently aimed at Latinos is about "ILLEGAL" immigration, the fact of the matter is that I, my family, friends, and neighbors have all gotten called terrible names, sent hateful emails or been otherwise snubbed not based on citizenship or residency status, but because we "look foreign."

The actual news reflects a growing number of violent acts against Hispanics. In Baltimore for three weekends in a row Hispanic men have been victims of violent crime; one just died from his shotgun injuries, another was beaten to death with a 2 x 2 wooden plank.

Baltimore officials arrested a 19-year-old man Saturday night after he gave a taped confession to police saying he "hated Hispanics."

Let me clarify here: he didn't say he hated illegal immigrants - he said he hated Hispanics.

Not convinced? Here is a teeny-tiny selection of emails - some just subject lines - that find their way into my inbox, none of which make any reference to citizenship status:

"Immigrants are the scum of the earth. Latinos are the worst of the worst. Execute this scum. Enforce the freaking law. Kill this vermin - DEAD, DEAD, DEAD!?"

"Mexico is a malevolent machine of evil malice. Why won't my country declare war on this evil menace - Mexico. Death to Mexico. Death to Mexicans.?"

"You are a spic **** *****"

Hatred is, in fact, boiling over in the U.S. against anyone who does not seem to be from this country - regardless of whether they are U.S. born, or legal permanent residents, or illegal immigrants, or not. (Sadly, it's not limited to those who look Latino, but is starting to boil over onto any brown-skinned individual who looks like they might be - GASP! - Muslim.)

So to all of those out there who dare say that the current anti-immigrant outrage is all just about legal residency status: stop kidding yourself because you aren't kidding anyone else.

The fact is that immigrant and non-immigrant Latinos alike are facing pure, bald-faced hatred, ire, and discrimination that goes well beyond perennial annoyances such as being asked how much you charge for mowing a lawn (if you should happen to garden in front of your nice house) or being asked if you "Habla English" for no apparent reason other than the looks of you.

The real question is: what are we going to do about it?

Esther J. Cepeda writes about hatred, love, and much, much, more on www.600words.com

Follow Esther J. Cepeda on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ejc600words

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

Hence the reason why Jan Brewer's SB 1070 is so popular. A law that was designed for a fight over State rights vs Federal Government rights and is a thinly veiled racist law.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

The fact of the matter is that the hatred of people who merely "look foreign" is real.

Majority of people are not to be blamed for the current atmosphere.

Oddly enough, there are some fairly good people even among those who are fearful and thus disdainful of foreign looking ones.

And then there are still great many people who didn't buy into this hysteria and will treat you the same, no matter where you appear to them to be from.

It is deliberately orchestrated and highly energetic work of big fat idiots like Rush Limbaugh who bring this kind of havoc to communities that never had these issues before.

I don't consider myself a good good person, i have many flaws, but let's say i was such a good person and all i heard day and night from radio talk-shows, internet forums, blogs and tv was how horrible all the newcomers were, how they all were living off a wellfare that was being taken from my paycheck while i struggled to meet ends, how they were ruining entire infrastructure and , to top it, were commiting crimes at rates never imaginable before AND they were soon coming to my neighborhood (or already were present). And overwhelming majority of these were illegals who aren't supposed to be here in the first place. How would i react? Would i be an all embracing person ?

When i look at bigger picture, the people at large, i see NORMAL people, these are regular folks, perhaps even better human beings in many respects than some we have been accustomed to in our own countries of origin.

It is important to remember this. And it is also one of the reasons why such state of affairs won't last for too long.

We immigrants, or those who appear like ones, can work together to change the negative public perception about us created by Limbaughs who get $400 million dollar contracts at OUR EXPENCE.

It should be the most important priority of all - to do what you can to let people know that you are not the monsters that Limbaughs are out to make of you.

I don't like the negative image that immigrants have gained in this country any more than the next person. The influx from south of our borders has caused this. I believe if people would assimilate and learn English (which is the language in the US, unofficially), the negative perceptions would gradually fade away.
    I'm not trying to sound negative toward immigrants in any fashion, by the way. I just feel if they would try harder to learn our language, it would go a long way to eliminate the prejudice that many have against them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
    I don't like the negative image that immigrants have gained in this country any more than the next person. The influx from south of our borders has caused this. I believe if people would assimilate and learn English (which is the language in the US, unofficially), the negative perceptions would gradually fade away.
    I'm not trying to sound negative toward immigrants in any fashion, by the way. I just feel if they would try harder to learn our language, it would go a long way to eliminate the prejudice that many have against them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, ProudUSC, don't be such a sleazy Mullah Limbaugh supporter.
    At least davdah is being straightforward and clear about his views. Not that i like his views, but there is not nearly as much malice in his posts as in yours.

It is when you engage in this sleazy "i have nothing against immigrants and regret them having a bad image but this guy probably wouldn't die if his ilk learned to speak better English" , it is when you say such things that you make sound yourself outrageously hateful and maliciosly spiteful at that.

How can you say that? Are you blind? Don't you see what pundit's drum beating and 24/7 hatred preachings brought, don't you see that people start getting killed merely due to their appearance ? And now, instead of condemning what brought this about you have audacity to claim that "Only if they could speak better English may be we wouldn't want them dead"?

If you didn't want them non-English speakers here you should have sealed your borders when your economy was booming and buying cheap potatoes was too much to your wallets benefit to resist.

But now that they are being attacked all you say is that they brought it upon themselves by not learning to speak English?

You are insane !
    davdah is not insane, he knows what he is thinking and made up his mind clear, but you are insane and it is your kind that does greatest of all damages because it is also one of the most perfidious, with clear conscience of "but this poor b.astard deserved to die because too many others like him didn't learn to speak proper English"

Anyway, at last we know your true opinion and you need not to repeat it.

Let's see what others have to say.

where you could unlock the screen by typing 1280 characters in the password dialog. I remember reading about it at the time, but I never really understood how people found bugs like this until I had kids.

.http://www.uggs-boots-shop.com/ugg-c...all-boots.html

Mullah Limbaugh supporters don't like this thread.