50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: finally, it is over, and a few lessons learned, to share

on the last day of year 2004. I received my greencard. after almost 3 long years of waiting based on marriage to u.s citizen.

i thank all for your support and advice, i have a few lessons learned during this frustrating process, that i want to share with you.

1. name check, there is a system glitch that the results of the name check does not show up on the first screen of your profile, it is actually on a different screen. some inexperienced immigration officer does not know that for some reason, so at your interview or inquiry, they may tell you that you need to wait for the name check result. as a matter a fact, there is a possiblity that your security check has long been cleared. i found out the hard way.

2. if you had your interview or are going for your interview, it is very important that you remember the name of the immigration officer, as he/she is the only one that may access/ignore your file. if you don't hear anything within a month after your interview, it is time to call. apparently, if you are unlucky, your officer may just forgot to touch your case for months. it may not be intentional, they have many cases and some of them are not very organized. you need to keep calling until the point of getting obnoxious. of course, be insistent and polite on the phone.

3. congressional office in nyc does not help much any more, at least to me and a few others that i know.

4. it has been a very frustrating process for me, if a reaonsable time has passed since you are waiting for name check/receipt/interview, what ever that is, my advice is that don't ever sit back and wait, take things into your hands, be proactive. congressional office/infopass inquiry may be sympathetic, they are not affected by your delay. you are.

5. 1-800 number and infopass inquiry is a total waste of time and it aggravates your frustration.

6. uscis is improving, although very slowly.

happy new year and best of luck to all.

on the last day of year 2004. I received my greencard. after almost 3 long years of waiting based on marriage to u.s citizen.

i thank all for your support and advice, i have a few lessons learned during this frustrating process, that i want to share with you.

1. name check, there is a system glitch that the results of the name check does not show up on the first screen of your profile, it is actually on a different screen. some inexperienced immigration officer does not know that for some reason, so at your interview or inquiry, they may tell you that you need to wait for the name check result. as a matter a fact, there is a possiblity that your security check has long been cleared. i found out the hard way.

2. if you had your interview or are going for your interview, it is very important that you remember the name of the immigration officer, as he/she is the only one that may access/ignore your file. if you don't hear anything within a month after your interview, it is time to call. apparently, if you are unlucky, your officer may just forgot to touch your case for months. it may not be intentional, they have many cases and some of them are not very organized. you need to keep calling until the point of getting obnoxious. of course, be insistent and polite on the phone.

3. congressional office in nyc does not help much any more, at least to me and a few others that i know.

4. it has been a very frustrating process for me, if a reaonsable time has passed since you are waiting for name check/receipt/interview, what ever that is, my advice is that don't ever sit back and wait, take things into your hands, be proactive. congressional office/infopass inquiry may be sympathetic, they are not affected by your delay. you are.

5. 1-800 number and infopass inquiry is a total waste of time and it aggravates your frustration.

6. uscis is improving, although very slowly.

happy new year and best of luck to all.

I couldn't think of a better way to start the New Year, could you, mag?
    Congradulations!

Well Mag you should continue the journey and be done with immigration forever by going for citizenship

there are many other lesson to be learned while in process.
    800 hot line seldom give you right information.
    If you have case pending, will not show up in the DHs systemif not looked in proper places most of the immigration officer will not know how to look on computer , he will end up detaining some aliens without reason Or kept them waiting for hours or ask them to come next day etc.
    Most of the immigration officer will hasitate to ask his superior and too lazy to search the file on DB( even the search can be done by Name, Dob, A #, I-94, name and date of filing, name DOB Landing record etc. If the file is done in the same center ther will be hard copy available too.
    most of the immigration officer will not know which law has to be applied becasue its not their job.
    what they know;
    detain alien
    keep them waiting while no one is searching files.
    If any appeal is filed and alien say he filed an appeal then immigration officer will talk to supervisor and supervisor will contact BIA for stay on telephone.
    Put alien in supervisor visit.
    take interview and threat alien unnecessary.
    force alien to get voluntary departure.
    Its a discussion, not a legal advise..