50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidental polygamy and naturalization - HELP!

Hello -

I am going to try to make this message as coherent as possible. Hopefully someone has good news for me...

I am Canadian - Married a US citizen in 1993 - in good faith. Got my status adjusted to a permanent resident in 1995 and in 1998, after he told me he was homosexual, I obtained a divorce.

Met a man later on, married him - but was abusive, the marriage didnt last even 7 months. Filed for divorce -
    in early 1999.

I re-married later in that year to a really close person, I thought, but after 6 years of marriage he ended up cheating on me! So obviously, I am not marriage material right?

The weirdest thing is that while I was going through my last divorce ( was literally waiting to go to court to finalize that ), I was preparing my Naturalization papers and they were asking about marriage(s)/divorce(s) dates and I realized that I didn't have in my hand my divorce decree for my second marriage. So I called the lawyer and she sent me the papers. Well, I opened the enveloppe and I literally screamed! I then, just realized that I was married to 2 men at the same time! the marriages overlapped of 4 months or so!

So instead of obtaining a divorce, I got an annulment.

I am applying for my citizenship now and I am REALLY scared they will deny me because of this. It was a mistake, I thought everything was final because when I filed in January of 1999 - the waiting time was 3 months. They say that it doesn't show good moral character. I am a hard working person, I overcame a lot in my life. I own a small business, I dont have any criminal charges, I am miss plain Jane! My only offense is that I wanted to be married to someone to whom I felt I belonged to, and got royally &$*$^* in the meantime.

I have not sent in my papers yet, So if there is someone out there with some insight, I'd be happy to hear it!

THank you.

Hello -

I am going to try to make this message as coherent as possible. Hopefully someone has good news for me...

I am Canadian - Married a US citizen in 1993 - in good faith. Got my status adjusted to a permanent resident in 1995 and in 1998, after he told me he was homosexual, I obtained a divorce.

Met a man later on, married him - but was abusive, the marriage didnt last even 7 months. Filed for divorce -
    in early 1999.

I re-married later in that year to a really close person, I thought, but after 6 years of marriage he ended up cheating on me! So obviously, I am not marriage material right?

The weirdest thing is that while I was going through my last divorce ( was literally waiting to go to court to finalize that ), I was preparing my Naturalization papers and they were asking about marriage(s)/divorce(s) dates and I realized that I didn't have in my hand my divorce decree for my second marriage. So I called the lawyer and she sent me the papers. Well, I opened the enveloppe and I literally screamed! I then, just realized that I was married to 2 men at the same time! the marriages overlapped of 4 months or so!

So instead of obtaining a divorce, I got an annulment.

I am applying for my citizenship now and I am REALLY scared they will deny me because of this. It was a mistake, I thought everything was final because when I filed in January of 1999 - the waiting time was 3 months. They say that it doesn't show good moral character. I am a hard working person, I overcame a lot in my life. I own a small business, I dont have any criminal charges, I am miss plain Jane! My only offense is that I wanted to be married to someone to whom I felt I belonged to, and got royally &$*$^* in the meantime.

I have not sent in my papers yet, So if there is someone out there with some insight, I'd be happy to hear it!

THank you.

Someone12
    how do you spell..."desperate?"..

Lol...
    Someone12 - I read about the "sweet" comments you leave in threads - You are the one who is most desperate!

Please tell us how you were able to obtain the marriage certificate without producing the divorce certificate. Only if you did not disclose that there was previous marriage would this not be caught.

They will not issue marriage license without seeing proof that divorce was obtained

Oh gosh, I dont even remember it was almost 10 years ago, I was naive and so stupid! Drinking + Vegas = not too clever judgement! Fortunately, I wised up and I am really glad its all over. I am so happy to be by myself and on my own terms...

But isnt the fact that I am no longer married that matters? I am NOT currently married to anyone and I obtained my permanent status while married to my first husband.

nope

they check all that stuff very closely

Well, I know they watch this all closely, I just hope they can understand that it was a mistake, a stupid one at that. When I send in my application, can I write a letter explaining what happened? THe anullment sort of states that my last marriage never happened "legally" since the second one wasn't final when we "got married".

aaaaaahh What a mess.

Oh, I like that. That's not the best choice. That's your only choice.

What is that suppose ot mean?
    I am not getting a whole lot of help. I am asking what should I do to help my situation when I apply?