50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korean/Canadian citizen married to US citizen: various help needed.

Here's my situation. Any advice on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Background: I am a US citizen. Met my wife in US. Married in April 06. She holds dual citizenship: South Korea and Canada. She has a Korean passport, hasn't lived in Korea for about 20 years. She was in US from Canada on a work permit, which has expired. She already has a SSN, and is currently not working.

I submitted I-130 in July 06 to Vermont. No reply yet.

1) Can I submit form I-765(application for employment authorization) without filing for adjustment of status at the same time? If so, what category would she file under? The instructions don't seem to have a category for her. Our main goal is to get her legally working as soon as possible.

2) We are planning to travel to China and Korea very soon. Anyone see a problem with this, based on submitting I-130 only? I'm not sure she'll be allowed back into the country or if there will be a problem with our current application if she leaves the country.

3) If I submit the I-485(adjustment of status) prior to leaving the US, will that cause a problem for her? I'm not sure she'll be allowed back into the country or if there will be a problem with our current application if she leaves the country.

4) Does anyone have a way to find out why Vermont is so far behind in processing I-130's? They have been stuck on March 12, 2006, since December! The California center is processing August 2006 applications. Every month, their processing date gets updated, but Vermont has not been updated for three months.

I called the 1-800 number last week, and the Rep said there must be a problem with Vermont's dates. She said her supervisor would check into it, and to call back in a couple of days for more info. So of course when I call back, the new Rep tells me that they don't have this info, and the prior Rep gave me the wrong info. Not believing her, I called again and got the same *** answer from another Rep.

Here's my situation. Any advice on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Background: I am a US citizen. Met my wife in US. Married in April 06. She holds dual citizenship: South Korea and Canada. She has a Korean passport, hasn't lived in Korea for about 20 years. She was in US from Canada on a work permit, which has expired. She already has a SSN, and is currently not working.

I submitted I-130 in July 06 to Vermont. No reply yet.

1) Can I submit form I-765(application for employment authorization) without filing for adjustment of status at the same time? If so, what category would she file under? The instructions don't seem to have a category for her. Our main goal is to get her legally working as soon as possible.

2) We are planning to travel to China and Korea very soon. Anyone see a problem with this, based on submitting I-130 only? I'm not sure she'll be allowed back into the country or if there will be a problem with our current application if she leaves the country.

3) If I submit the I-485(adjustment of status) prior to leaving the US, will that cause a problem for her? I'm not sure she'll be allowed back into the country or if there will be a problem with our current application if she leaves the country.

4) Does anyone have a way to find out why Vermont is so far behind in processing I-130's? They have been stuck on March 12, 2006, since December! The California center is processing August 2006 applications. Every month, their processing date gets updated, but Vermont has not been updated for three months.

I called the 1-800 number last week, and the Rep said there must be a problem with Vermont's dates. She said her supervisor would check into it, and to call back in a couple of days for more info. So of course when I call back, the new Rep tells me that they don't have this info, and the prior Rep gave me the wrong info. Not believing her, I called again and got the same *** answer from another Rep.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jqe:
    She was in US from Canada on a work permit, which has expired.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Does that mean she is out of status now? If yes, she should not leave the US before she adjust status and receives green card.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1) Can I submit form I-765(application for employment authorization) without filing for adjustment of status at the same time? .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> No, EAD is tied with the application to adjust status.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2) We are planning to travel to China and Korea very soon. Anyone see a problem with this, based on submitting I-130 only? I'm not sure she'll be allowed back into the country or if there will be a problem with our current application if she leaves the country... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah, she may not be let back for two reasons: overstay (and possible bar on re-entry) and immigrant intent (I-130 filed) without proper immigrant visa.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3) If I submit the I-485(adjustment of status) prior to leaving the US, will that cause a problem for her?... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> If I-485 is pending, one needs Advance Parole (AP)to be able to return to the US, otherwise I-485 is considered abandoned. Even with the AP, one has to be admissable (no overstay, illegal work, criminal record...) to be allowed to enter the US.

If she is not out of status (what kind of work permit she had?), file for adjustment of status and AP if she wants to travel outside the US. Only with the AP in hands, she can go. Everything else is a huge risk, since she is obviously has an immigrant intent but not an immigrant visa.

What confused me is why you didn't file the I-485 (and I-765 for employment authorization and I-131 for travel purpose) at the same time you file for I-130?

aneri, I don't know about criminal record, but I don't think its a set rule that having overstayed or performing illegal work will cause the POE officer to deny entry of an AOS applicant with AP. I have seen it both way (more resulting in admission).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marmaduk:
    aneri, I don't know about criminal record, but I don't think its a set rule that having overstayed or performing illegal work will cause the POE officer to deny entry of an AOS applicant with AP. I have seen it both way (more resulting in admission). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    There is a warning on AP itself saying something like "don't use if you violated .." refering to illegal presence etc. A person who overstayed and has a bar is not admissable, with or without AP.
    I don't know about the cases you've seen (not saying it hasn't happened).

From the I-131 application for AP

"Before you apply for an advance parole document, read this travel warning carefully.

-If you have been unlawfully present in the United States for more than 180 days but less than one year and you leave before removal proceedings are started against you, you may be inadmissible for three years from the date of departure.
    -If you have been unlawfully present in the United States for one year or more, you may be inadmissible for ten years fromthe date of departure regardless of whether you left before,during or after removal proceedings.
    -Although advance parole may allow you to return to the United States, your departure may trigger the three-or ten-year bar, if you accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence BEFORE the date you were considered to be in a period of authorized stay.
    -Therefore, if you apply for adjustment of status after you return to the United States, resume an adjustment application that was pending before you left, or return to a status that requires you to establish that you are not inadmissible, you will need to apply for and receive awaiver of inadmissibility before your adjustment application may be approved or your status continued."

Most of the cases I have seen(if not all) is in conjuction where one has lost employment/student status, overstayed and found employment again or get married with USC. They utilized AP while their AOS is pending and was granted admission.

Not saying that ones should try it. I agree that it's not prudent to risk it to chances or to whatever mood the POE officer is in.

Hello,

Thanks for the answers so far. Very helpful and much appreciated.

She came into the country from Canada, so didn't do anything illegal due to the visa waiver agreement with US and Canada.

As far as I know, there's no problem with her being in the country.

Visa Waiver has a time limit and doesn't translate to indefinite stay. Also, in earlier post you stated that your wife comes from Canada on work permit that has already expired. Won't that translate to her status now as being an overstay just like aneri asked? An overstay is an immigration violation, and she has no legal status to remained in the USA.

Or are you saying she went back to Canada after her work visa expired and now back in the USA under Visa Waiver?

My wife quit her US job before the work permit expired. We have been back and forth together to Canada a couple of times since then. When we cross the border, we get the okay to proceed from the border guards in Canada and US. I don't know they document that she left/came into US from Canada. Our assumption is that it's okay since she's married to US citizen and did not enter country illegally.