publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: How to stay permanently in the US...

Hi,
    I have a friend who is currently a high school senior exchange student. She wants to remain in the USA after graduation in order to pursue further education and become a resident in the long run. I was wondering what options are available in order for her to do that.

I know that for her to be able to stay here one option is to marry an American citizen, another option is to become adopted by an American family(she is 18 though).

Can any of you give any advice or input on what can be done.

Thanks a lot

Hi,
    I have a friend who is currently a high school senior exchange student. She wants to remain in the USA after graduation in order to pursue further education and become a resident in the long run. I was wondering what options are available in order for her to do that.

I know that for her to be able to stay here one option is to marry an American citizen, another option is to become adopted by an American family(she is 18 though).

Can any of you give any advice or input on what can be done.

Thanks a lot

First, what type of visa does she have? If it is J for exchange visitor, then she probably has to return to her country. Even marriage to a USC does not get her out of that (although there is a waiver.) If she is here on an F academic student visa, she can continue her education through graduate school and then try for employment.

If she is married to a USC, she is eligible to apply for permanent residence, but scouting for a marriage to remain in the US is not advised. That is the type of fraud that causes everyone else to suffer through the conditional resident process.

Adoption is right out if she is over age 16.

Old Man,
    I don't know what visa she is on but I will find out tonight.

If she is on the J visa, she has to go back even if she gets married to a USC? What is the waiver that you mentioned. Does this waiver allow her to stay in the US while the paperwork is being done? Also how long does it usually take to get a GC once she is married to a USC?

Another complication is that she is from Serbia and if she goes back she may have a hard time getting back in the USA due to the new troubles that are stirring there in Kosovo.

Thanks

Waiver for J visa is filed with State Department (that is if she holds J status).

She is high school graduate,not a doctor or else, so I don't see how she could get a GC through employment.

Only remaining option seems to be marriage.
    But it must be bona fide or else she will get deported and PERMANENTLY barred from entering US.

Good luck.