50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Extending a F-2 visa

I am a paralegal in a law firm and we are trying to extend a F-2 visa. The situation is the father came over on a F-1 visa and brought his son along who is now in the 9th grade. The father has finish his studies and maybe leaving for his home country. He would like to leave his son with some american friends so that he can finish the 9th grade and possibily finishing high school. The family will be providing support for the boy. Is this possible? If so, what is the procedure and what forms will I have to file?

Julius

I am a paralegal in a law firm and we are trying to extend a F-2 visa. The situation is the father came over on a F-1 visa and brought his son along who is now in the 9th grade. The father has finish his studies and maybe leaving for his home country. He would like to leave his son with some american friends so that he can finish the 9th grade and possibily finishing high school. The family will be providing support for the boy. Is this possible? If so, what is the procedure and what forms will I have to file?

Julius

In general, the stay of dependents (F2, Hb4) is completely dependent on the status of principal - F1 in this case. If F1 loses status, F2 does too.

Rather then extending F2, maybe you should look into changing child'd status.

Talk to the foreign student advisor at the boy's high school to see what you need to submit for them to issue an I-20. Provided that's possible, you can then go ahead and change the boy's status from F2 to F1.
    Anita Shia, Esq. has been practicing immigration law for nearly 10 years and is an active member of AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association). Based in New York and New Jersey, she nevertheless represents clients from all over the U.S. and abr

At a guess, the son will have to qualify for his own F-1 visa. His family will also have to pay his tuition, whether at public or private school. (Someone else posted, maybe on this board, the case of a "student" who didn't do the latter because his public school waived it. This became a problem when he tried to get another visa, so check into the tuition provision carefully.)