publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Marriage after processing of I551 Dilemma!

I recently became a permanent resident (June 2005) since then i have only received my welcome letter!I went into the immigration office and spoke with an immigration official who told me that they sent the welcome letter along with the card and that they now considered the card lost or stolen. He also informed me that i must now re-apply for the card. I later went into federal plaza and got my passport stamped (that is,until i receive the actual card); The stamp is valid for one year.I want to get married in november 2005, but iam wondering if immigration may give me a problem since i never 'had the actual card'
    If i go ahead and get married, will i be penalized in some way or the other for not waiting for my card?
    The welcome letter states that iam now a permanent resident and the card will be valid for ten years. I am not having my name changed when i get married, could my marriage still be a problem when the time for finger printing comes around? I would really appreciate any useful information, thank you in anticipation.

I recently became a permanent resident (June 2005) since then i have only received my welcome letter!I went into the immigration office and spoke with an immigration official who told me that they sent the welcome letter along with the card and that they now considered the card lost or stolen. He also informed me that i must now re-apply for the card. I later went into federal plaza and got my passport stamped (that is,until i receive the actual card); The stamp is valid for one year.I want to get married in november 2005, but iam wondering if immigration may give me a problem since i never 'had the actual card'
    If i go ahead and get married, will i be penalized in some way or the other for not waiting for my card?
    The welcome letter states that iam now a permanent resident and the card will be valid for ten years. I am not having my name changed when i get married, could my marriage still be a problem when the time for finger printing comes around? I would really appreciate any useful information, thank you in anticipation.

He is a LPR. Can anyonelse tell me if they have been in this situation or if they know of anyone who have been in this situation? please any advice wil be really appreciated!Pasha? Sammy? Anyone?

Having I-551 stamp in the passport is the same as having plastic card for all purposes (employment, travel, etc.). You are OK to marry without plastic GC. And even if you don't receive a card within a year you can renew I-551 stamp.

Thank you Lolita and Aibolit.