free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visa to UK with GC

I am a GC holder with Indian passport. I am applying for a visa to the UK. I filled out the on-line application and then went to my local USCIS office for bio-metric. Now i need to send my bio-metrics papers, along with visa application and supporting documents to the British Consulate in LA. They are also asking for my original passport and my GC to be sent along with my application. Is this normal? i dont feel comfortable sending those documents, especially the originals. Why do they need the originals? Does anyone have experience with this, and what was the result? I guess they need the passport to stamp the visa, but why the GC? Also, once the application and everythign is mailed, what kind of time-line are we looking at to get an answer? Do they mail everything back, and do we have to pay for that postage or is that included in the application fee? Sorry for the million questions.

I am a GC holder with Indian passport. I am applying for a visa to the UK. I filled out the on-line application and then went to my local USCIS office for bio-metric. Now i need to send my bio-metrics papers, along with visa application and supporting documents to the British Consulate in LA. They are also asking for my original passport and my GC to be sent along with my application. Is this normal? i dont feel comfortable sending those documents, especially the originals. Why do they need the originals? Does anyone have experience with this, and what was the result? I guess they need the passport to stamp the visa, but why the GC? Also, once the application and everythign is mailed, what kind of time-line are we looking at to get an answer? Do they mail everything back, and do we have to pay for that postage or is that included in the application fee? Sorry for the million questions.

The British government most likely figures that you were a long-time illegal alien...and that your family has a history of immigrating without permission to do so. They're not taking any chances!!

Yes, they do ask for the originals. And they do send them back. Your are a citizen of India but a Permanent resident of the US. They always ask for both documents. Send them by Fedex or some other form of mail where the documents must be signed for - ask for signature confirmation. Check for timelines on the internet.

Thanks dragonlady. have u experienced this process before? If so what is it difficult for them to grant you the visa? My wife, USC, is not travelling with. Should i include a copy of her passport to prove my marriage to USC and that i do not plan on overstaying, or is this not needed. Thanks.

I had that experience. Not with UK consulate though. Most foreign consulats (in USA and elsewhere) wan't issue a visa if person requesting visa is not in a legal status in that country.

I put GC in a little protective envelope (that came with GC) and taped the envelope to my passport, so they don't forget to return GC with the passport. They laughed, but said it was a great idea.

This is definitely strange,from since when does a GC holder require a visa to enter the UK ?

Or is it based on Nationality ?

Sorry for the Off-topic question but I'm curious since my Uncle whom is of a different nationality didn't require a visa to enter Britain since they just asked for his Green card & that was all that was required for a visit.

Aneri, how long did it take to get the visa? does anyone know how long the british consulate to approve or deny visa? i would like to know asap so that i can book my tickets, as they seem to go up sooner to travel date. giving original documents is scary but i guess there is no way around it. i actually put a rubber band on my passport with my greencard. hopefull they know the importance of the documents and are prompt with returning it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lyric:
    This is definitely strange,from since when does a GC holder require a visa to enter the UK ?

Or is it based on Nationality ?

Sorry for the Off-topic question but I'm curious since my Uncle whom is of a different nationality didn't require a visa to enter Britain since they just asked for his Green card & that was all that was required for a visit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lyric, it isn't based on what GC holder you hold of another country, it is based on your Citizenship. You enter the UK with your passport not your Green card.
    In AV's case he is still a Citizen of India not a USC yet.
    So for Indian Citizens the UK require that they have a visa to enter there.

The UK requires visas from various Citizens of various countries, people need to check that first before booking tickets to see if they do in fact need a visa.

Not only that, the UK even require a certain amount of time left on your passport before expiration to travel there, so that needs to be checked too.

He will need his Green card of course to re-enter the US.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Canadian Green card holder don't need UK visa to go to UK.

There is no visa waiver for USC GC holder?