publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: HELP!! Refused entry to US as visitor (canadian citizen)

I don't know anything about being refused. I tried to cross at Niagria Falls in my car. Reason for refusal was the officer thought I was just going to stay in US and never go back to canada which is not true. I was only going for 3 weeks and I had my car packed pretty full but that's becuase I had lots of clothes and some gifts and most of the stuff in there was staying in the US. I go there often so I like to leave stuff. The officer read my journal too. That is private! I couldn't believe it. btw, my x-bf is there and we just broke up (3 years together) I was going there to settle things and get closure but of course I didn't tell the officer this but it was in my journal. Anyway, here are my questions, how bad is it going to be the next time I try to cross? I'm going to bring way less stuff with me. I know I need to show I have binding ties to canada but that is going to be hard because I live with my parents and work for my dad. My dad is going to write a letter proving I'm coming back with copies of my tax returns. Will that be good enough? I'm so worried that I will never make into the US again. How bad is a refusal? does it stay on record forever? please help. Thanks. I need to see my x and get closure so I can move on with my life.

I don't know anything about being refused. I tried to cross at Niagria Falls in my car. Reason for refusal was the officer thought I was just going to stay in US and never go back to canada which is not true. I was only going for 3 weeks and I had my car packed pretty full but that's becuase I had lots of clothes and some gifts and most of the stuff in there was staying in the US. I go there often so I like to leave stuff. The officer read my journal too. That is private! I couldn't believe it. btw, my x-bf is there and we just broke up (3 years together) I was going there to settle things and get closure but of course I didn't tell the officer this but it was in my journal. Anyway, here are my questions, how bad is it going to be the next time I try to cross? I'm going to bring way less stuff with me. I know I need to show I have binding ties to canada but that is going to be hard because I live with my parents and work for my dad. My dad is going to write a letter proving I'm coming back with copies of my tax returns. Will that be good enough? I'm so worried that I will never make into the US again. How bad is a refusal? does it stay on record forever? please help. Thanks. I need to see my x and get closure so I can move on with my life.

Try to take any travel with the group in the bus. should be advertisments in the newspapers. Buy travel for the couple day, Don't take alot of staff. will see may be you wish go back even in next day. I traveled to Canada, they only checked the pasports.

Sorry to hear about your refusal at the border. I live right on the Canadian/US border in B.C. and going to the US is quite a frequent trip in my family. Since my husband and I filed our I-130, I can't cross the border because I don't have the proper paperwork to show to the border guard.

Your entry total depends on the border guard that's handling it. Remember, the more answers you give, the more they will read into things. My husband came here to see me in Canada, but I had to drive to Seattle to pick him up...I had no luggage, nothing....The border guard asked me how I knew this person I was picking up, what flight he was coming in on, searched my car (Pre-9/11), asked me where I worked, and blah blah blah. The questions he SHOULD have asked was "purpose of your trip? How long do you plan to stay?

They have limitations on what THEY think is a reasonable amount of time to stay in the US. Legally, a Canadian can be in the US for 6 months out of the year...however, if you cross the border with lots of luggage, items, paraphenilia, and say you're going for 3 weeks....3 weeks is a long time to them to "visit" and it looks to them that you're moving down there.

Try again, but with less stuff in the car, and short to the point answers, but it's also a good idea to show ties your coming back. Take your letter and tax receipts.

Good Luck

Whether or not you will be allowed admission to the US soon is dependent on whether or not you were denied admission because the INS person thought you were going to stay or because you said one thing about your visit, but your journal said something else (x boyfriend) and the INS officer found you ineligible for having attempted fraud to get into the US.
    Your record of denial of admission will be on file both in paper form and computer form - the computer record will last a long time.
    Of course, you could try the sneaky approach that was suggested earlier - going on the bus. But then, what would that say about your integrity?
    I notice that a lot of "experts" offer "advice" on how to lie, cheat or otherwise go around the rules of the United States in order to enter our country - I might expect this from people who are not citizens; it is more disturbing (to me, anyway) when citizens encourage people to avoid following our regulations.
    In my opinion (for what it is worth) you should just be honest - state why you are coming to the US and let INS decide. That's why they are there.
    If you don't wish to follow the rules, well, consider why you should be allowed in the US.

As far as I know, if you were found to be non admissible once, and you try to enter again, you can get in big trouble, 'cause knowing you are inadmissible, you are trying to enter again. I read that they can even confiscate your car.

Play it safe, and go to a US Consulate near you.
    My kids had a similar problem on their last visit to the US because of the poor record keeping the INS has regarding departure records (they were recorded in the computers as overstayers some years ago, but they had stayed there less than one month). After about one hour it seems they found out it was their mistake, and they were admitted.
    I'll play it safe, before they travel again to or through the US, I'll visit the local consulate.

Whatt hapenned to you and my kids seems to be happening far more often than before. In my opinion they are pointing in the wrong direction, and beginning to scare legitimate tourists away, but if we have to travel to the US because of family/transit/business, there is not choice but to play it safe.