50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Asylum: Employment Authorization and the 180-Day Clock

Hi. Does anybody know whether or how I can find out whether the 180-day clock for employment authorization for asylum seekers restarts once the applicant has filed their appeal with the BIA? Any information on the answer or how I can find it would be great.

Mark B.

Hi. Does anybody know whether or how I can find out whether the 180-day clock for employment authorization for asylum seekers restarts once the applicant has filed their appeal with the BIA? Any information on the answer or how I can find it would be great.

Mark B.

what do u mean by Clock started?
    Who told you that the clock will start again.....? do u even know what is the meaning of this?
    what this clock has to do with EAD.. you got everything wrong.. regardless of Asylum seeker or any other overstay /uninspected alien., clock has entirely different meaning.
    Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Someone12
    I think you mean the "180 day crock" - which is the time these lying asylum seekers need to conjure up a better story...

I'm neither a lawyer nor an expert on asylum. It is my understanding, however, that asylum seekers are not eligible for employment authorization for a period of several months (I believe that it's five months), from the time that they initiate a claim for asylum.

USCIS strives to issue a decision on said asylum claim before the prospective asylee is eligible to receive employment authorization. If your claim for asylum is rejected, it is my understanding that you will NOT be issued an employment authorization during any appeal that you may attempt.

The whole idea behind the initial waiting period for issuing employment authorization to those claiming asylum is to limit their ability to obtain this benefit.

If your asylum claim has already been rejected, then you are not allowed to work here.

the above EAD issued or not has nothing to do with clock running or stoped. this is entirely different issue. Previously EAD was issued to Alien who applied for Asylum till the case being adjucated. If the asylum granted EAD will be continued but if denied then no more EAD. Rule of asylum issuing EAD has been changed over the course of years. Asylum seeker has to apply for asylum within a year and EAD will not be issued right away unless Interview has been Taken by the Immigration officer.

Clock running has very different meaning in Immigration process. IF any Alien Physically present in US who was never put into deportation proceedings/Removal proceeding, which means he was never Issued OSC or NTA, his clock of Physical presence is running. NTA or OSC will stop the clock. this means alien will not be eligible for suspension of deportation/cencellation of removal and Adjustment of his status laters if he cannot completed 7 years (old rule) and 10 years (new rule). even if he have some way to adjust his status.
    thats what the clock means.
    Its a discussion, not a legal advise..