50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: "Invitation Letter" to obtain a visa

Can someone explain to me what an "invitation letter" is and what it entails. I have been asked by someone to write them an "invitation letter" so that they can obtain a visa and come into the States from another country. If I were to do this, what would my obligations be? Would I be responsible for what this person did while here? Would I be accountable for anything? I really don't know this individual, having only corresponded by email. He is planning to travel to the States for business, and wants to buy some items I have to sell, but is having trouble obtaining a visa and has asked if I would write him an "invitation letter". I don't mind helping someone out, but don't want to get involved in something if he isn't who he claims to be. Am I making any sense here? Please advise me as I really don't know anything about such matters. Thank you.

Can someone explain to me what an "invitation letter" is and what it entails. I have been asked by someone to write them an "invitation letter" so that they can obtain a visa and come into the States from another country. If I were to do this, what would my obligations be? Would I be responsible for what this person did while here? Would I be accountable for anything? I really don't know this individual, having only corresponded by email. He is planning to travel to the States for business, and wants to buy some items I have to sell, but is having trouble obtaining a visa and has asked if I would write him an "invitation letter". I don't mind helping someone out, but don't want to get involved in something if he isn't who he claims to be. Am I making any sense here? Please advise me as I really don't know anything about such matters. Thank you.

Most of the time an invitation letter for a non immigrant visa such as the B1/B2 visitor visa (which I am assuming is the type of visa being applied for) the writer usually states that they are inviting the named individual to visit you in the U.S. Furthermore, there is normally a statement included that speaks to support of the alien (in the form of room and board for example) throughout their stay.

The purpose of the letter is to help insure the consular office that the named individual will not be enticed to seek illegal employment. This is a (often notarized) letter you are writing to the U.S. government. If you write a letter that is not true you are (at the very least) helping to facilitate a fraudulent visa application. Many people don't think this matters as if defrauding the government for immigration purposes is a noble gesture. Looking at it another way, would you help someone file a fraudulent tax return?

You can write the letter, but only include truthful information. Namely that this individual is comming to the U.S. to purchase something from you and that you will not provide them with any support whatsoever. I doubt if the prospective visitor will want such a letter though as I don't think it will be of much use.