50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: AOS question

I was lucky to get selected for the diversity visa program. I understand that Sep30, 2002 is the last day to adjust status (only a couple of weeks from now). I filed in April, got a letter from INS requesting more documents, mailed copies of those documents the next day, and nothing else happened. I went to my local INS office today and an officer told me that I should not worry because I'd already filed and that it would take about 6 months for my case to be processed (?). I'm kind of confused now. Doesn't the adjustment of status involve an interview? Is it possible for them to schedule an interview for after Sep30? If anyone has a clue, I'd love to hear from you.

I was lucky to get selected for the diversity visa program. I understand that Sep30, 2002 is the last day to adjust status (only a couple of weeks from now). I filed in April, got a letter from INS requesting more documents, mailed copies of those documents the next day, and nothing else happened. I went to my local INS office today and an officer told me that I should not worry because I'd already filed and that it would take about 6 months for my case to be processed (?). I'm kind of confused now. Doesn't the adjustment of status involve an interview? Is it possible for them to schedule an interview for after Sep30? If anyone has a clue, I'd love to hear from you.

Did you win this year or last year?

If it's this year, you have until sept 30th 2003

Thanks, Marie! Yes, I won last year so the deadline to adjust status is Sep 30, 2002. But when does the AOS take place? I kept telling the officer "but the dealine is Sep 30" and she kept telling me "but don't worry because you've filed already" -- I don't think they've seen many of these cases.

I'm not sure if the deadline means that you have to have finished the whole process, therefore getting your green card or that you have to file it.

Call a lawyer to find out. If it is this year, call your senator's office and see if they can do anything for you.

Good luck to you!

Thanks again! I thought about contacting my senator and after today's experience, I think I'd better do that.

Yeah hopefully they can find out something for you. I know my senator's office has been very helpful with INS issues.

The IIO is right in telling you that even after Sept.30,2002 they process visa thru lottery as long as you have sent the required documents before the deadline.
    You just have to wait for few months for the interview and I think asking the senator's office will not be of much help in expediting your paper.be more patient with INS!

They probably can't expidite but they can sometimes find out what's going on.

I called my senator about my AP a few years ago and they were able to tell me that the INS had approved it and mailed it the day before.

Thank you, bugsy. The KCC notification letter states the following: "...You may apply to INS for adjustment of status from October 1, 2001 until September 30, 2002. However, your status must be adjusted by September 30, 2002 as DV-2002 expires on that date."

I guess I'm not sure when that "adjustment of status" takes place. When you file? When they stamp your passport?