50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N-400 while I-751 pending and how long for NSC?

Hello!

I'm sure that this has been discussed here before but I could just not find the right search phrases to find it:

Is it possible to file an N-400 while the I-751 is pending? How long does the N-400 take for the (NSC)? Any experiences?

Thanks,
    Joe

Hello!

I'm sure that this has been discussed here before but I could just not find the right search phrases to find it:

Is it possible to file an N-400 while the I-751 is pending? How long does the N-400 take for the (NSC)? Any experiences?

Thanks,
    Joe

Hello. Yes, you can file the N-400 while the I-751 is pending. Chances are that you may get naturalized before your I-751 would have been approved. In case this happens, the I-751 is automatically approved by virtue of your naturalization. In general, it takes between 1 year to 18 months for a naturalization from beginning to end. Good luck!

Hello NYCImmParalegal!

Thanks for the info! When can I file the N-400? 90 days before the three year anniversary of my Permanent Resident Status or right on the date of it?

Thanks again,
    Joe

NYCImmParalegal,

Not to be pedantic but technically the I-751 must be approved before the N-400 can be processed. This may occur only minutes before the N-400 is adjudicated by the USCIS officer. The N-400 cannot legally be approved until the I-751 is approved. Nonetheless, the processing of the N-400 can certainly hasten the I-751 adjudication time.

Sphyrapicus -

But I can still file the N-400 ... right?

Thanks,
    Joe

Duchtel,

Yes, by all means you should file your N-400. All that I am saying is that the adjudicating officer will have to approve your I-751 before he/she can proceed with the N-400. Sometimes things are slowed up because your district office needs to get the I-751 info from the Service Center. They must have your file in front of them to process the I-751 information if it has not already been processed.

Sphyrapicus -

Great ... thanks! But there is not a 90 day rule that allows you to file 90 days before the expiration of the Permanent Resident Card like for I-751?

Thanks again,
    Joe

Joe,

Yes, you can file 90 days prior to the 3 year anniversary of obtaining LPR status, assuming you meet all of the conditions.

Cool ... thanks so much for the information!

Joe