free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: to bronzelady about nyc interview

Bronzelady,

I am glad you are back. like many others, we always appreciate your advice.

Bronzelady,

I am glad you are back. like many others, we always appreciate your advice.

Hello Mag, even though your requested is aimed at Bronzelady, I would to add my cent on your case.

Recently USCIS officers were confused regarding stamping the passport after the interview. Your interview may have fallen in that period.

If you check USCIS website, they have finally confirmed that they will continue to issue ADIT stamps. So, my suggestion to you is to head back to the local office and let them that you had a successful interview and the put Pending I-485 due to the confusion over ADIT stamp. That will clear your issue. Or at least you will know whether or not you will have to wait for another name check.

Hope this helps.

Cisse

Cisse,

Please do not label if you do not know. CIS officers were not "confused" they were told that they would no longer be issuing ADIT stamps by HQ because they do not meet the "secure document" standard required by DHS. AILA (American Immigration Lawyer's Association) pitched a fit (and rightly so) and CIS quickly changed their mind.

Mag, I am of the opinion that if someone is approved at the interview they should receive a stamp the same day. I do know that in GC they don't always do that but the officer was correct when he/she said your card should come in days. When you went to take your fingerprints they did something called "biometric capture". That means that they captured all of the biometric information necessary to produce your green card and store it in the computer. That way, if your case is approved the officer only has to update the system to show your case is approved and a green card will automatically be generated. Under this new system cards have been produced and mailed to the applicant within 2 weeks. Garden City is actually better than Manhattan because they have officers there who do nothing but input these cases into the system. That way, with the other officers making the decisions and a select group doing nothing but updating the computer systems, the cases will be processed quickly and won't sit in an officer's office waiting for the computer to be updated. I hope that answers your questions.

Mag,
    I had my interview in Garden City on 26th of October, after 2 1/2 years of waiting. Interview went fine although I had to submit an additional document. Which I could just drop of right there addressed to the officer. I submitted the documents on the 1st of November. Been checking my status online since, and Voila I was approved on the 12th of November. So now I am waiting for the card. And I also want to travel in december, got the tickets, vacation days, soo I really really need that stupid card or at least a stamp. So I think I will wait for 1-2 more weeks and then get an infopass to Federal Plaza. I will print out and bring along my approval and hope they will do the right thing! Wish you good luck! Let me know if you got the card!

Case status online does not get updated right away, Mag. The only notation that they make in the passport is "I-485 pending". If your case is approved and they don't give you temporary evidence you have to wait for the green card.

ccnyc, do not waste your time making an INFOPASS for 26 Federal. Unless the file is physically located in NYC and someone can open up the file and see an approval stamp on the I-485 you will not be given a stamp in your passport. If the file has already been sent for card production then (short of requesting the file back and stopping the card production in the process) they won't issue a stamp.

Bronzelady,
    Usually how long it takes to receive the Green Card in the mail after approval? It was approved in Garden City on the 12th of November. I know every case is different, What's the best case scenario and what's the worst? I need to travel on the 18th of December.
    Thank you!
    Mag,
    I wish you luck, too! I know you're also want to travel for the Holidays! It's soo nervewrecking, you always have to wait for something throughout the process. You wait and hope! I'm glad it's almost over.

Edited on Friday late night
    Bronzelady, disregard my question! I've received the card!!!!! Checked my status online: it said on the 17th they sent out the Approval notice to me, should receive it in 14 days. Got home check the mail, and there it was) The card, not just an approval notice I am soo happy!
    I thought they will put the new type of picture on the card. They didn't, oh well...
    Mag,
    I'm sure you will get yours too soon!!!

Bronzelady Said:

"ccnyc, do not waste your time making an INFOPASS for 26 Federal. Unless the file is physically located in NYC and someone can open up the file and see an approval stamp on the I-485 you will not be given a stamp in your passport. If the file has already been sent for card production then (short of requesting the file back and stopping the card production in the process) they won't issue a stamp."

A note on this, and you might find it interesting...

My husband's case was approved at our interview in Arkansas and passport stamped. We moved to New York, and a year later we had still not received the Green Card. (We knew the people who had moved into our old apartment and they held all mail for us there, and we filed change of address forms with both the Arkansas office and the New York office, as well as both Service Centers.) Since the stamp expires in a year, we were very anxious to get it renewed or to get the green card, and his work was about to fire him since his work authorization seemed to be about to expire.

He went to the NYC INS office and attempted to have the passport restamped, but the file was not there. He had to work, so he sent me and his passport to Arkansas, along with all of our papers. They said that they didn't understand why the card took so long (his EAD took over 6 months alone), but that they obviously couldn't stamp his passport without him there. (Which I understood).

They gave us a private unlisted number to reach the office in Arkansas and told us to have the NYC office call it and they'd work out the details. Of course, we get an appointment in NYC and they are very uncooperative, saying "This could be your mom's number". I said "Surely my mother wouldn't answer the phone 'Immigration and Naturalization Services', plus surely you have ways to verify the number and the information." Finally, after explaining that I drove to Arkansas and back just to verify that they did have the file and everything was fine, he agreed to call.

They faxed him over the stamped papers from their file, made arrangements to have the file transferred to NYC, and stamped his passport that day.

I don't know how well this would work for a lot of people. My husband tried to tell them to call and was laughed at. But me, as the USC and a very determined redhead, they listened to but still gave me quite a bit of hassle.

Fortunately this person's card arrived. Amazingly, two weeks after our snafu with the NYC office, his card arrived at our address in NYC.

Katherine