50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Selective Service for citizenship application

I have researched the "Selective Service" requirements on USCIS and SSS.gov web sites, and am still not clear. I first arrived in the US at age 23 as full-time F1 student, and continued in that status well after age 26. Now, I am getting ready to apply for citizenship, having been a permanent resident for 5 years. Am I required to submit a "Status Information Letter" with my citizenship application? Thanks in advance for your help.

I have researched the "Selective Service" requirements on USCIS and SSS.gov web sites, and am still not clear. I first arrived in the US at age 23 as full-time F1 student, and continued in that status well after age 26. Now, I am getting ready to apply for citizenship, having been a permanent resident for 5 years. Am I required to submit a "Status Information Letter" with my citizenship application? Thanks in advance for your help.

F-1 students are not required to register for Selective Service (non-immigrant visa holders are ineligible for Selective Service). Given that you were older than 26 before your F-1 status expired, I don't believe that you require a "status Information Letter."

Kosim,

Sundevil... is right. You are not required to register with selective service as an F-1 student. I was also an F-1 student when I applied for AOS. I recently took the oath of allegiance for U.S. citizenship. Although I knew I was not required to register with SS, I asked for a "Satus Information Letter." It does not hurt to have it just in case. Send SS copies of your I-20s and F-1 visas, and they'll send you a letter confirming that you were not required to register. At my Naturalization interview, the USCIS officer did not even ask for it, but asked me for my transcripts as undergraduate student. I also gave her a copy of my undergraduate degree. Good luck!