free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Husband was denied permanent residence

My husband has been in the US for 6 years. He was originally from N.Ireland. He has been attempting to get permanent residence through sponsorship for past 2 years. We have been married one year.

He had his interview last week, and we were thrilled. I really thought everything was going to go through. When we got there, they were so rude. We waited for hours. They denied his application based os the fact that two passports, one Irish and one British (N.Ireland citizens have dual citizenship), but he only brought one passport to the interview. He has nt left the country in 5 years, but when he did previously he used two different passports.

Out immigration attorney thinks he may be deported. She says we have to get family members write letters in support of him and the hardship it would cause me I am going to have a nervous breakdown. We have a house, I just got my dream job. I will miss my family terribly. Any advice, past experience you could share would be great.

My husband has been in the US for 6 years. He was originally from N.Ireland. He has been attempting to get permanent residence through sponsorship for past 2 years. We have been married one year.

He had his interview last week, and we were thrilled. I really thought everything was going to go through. When we got there, they were so rude. We waited for hours. They denied his application based os the fact that two passports, one Irish and one British (N.Ireland citizens have dual citizenship), but he only brought one passport to the interview. He has nt left the country in 5 years, but when he did previously he used two different passports.

Out immigration attorney thinks he may be deported. She says we have to get family members write letters in support of him and the hardship it would cause me I am going to have a nervous breakdown. We have a house, I just got my dream job. I will miss my family terribly. Any advice, past experience you could share would be great.

Michael
    Where was the interview?

Have you seen "The Crying Game"?

Hi Eileen,

looks like there is a bigger reason for denial than not bringing 2 pasports.

On what basis your husband attempted to adjust status?

Has he ever overstayed? worked without USCIS authorisation?

The interview was in Philadelphia, and yes he has overstayed. He has been here for 5 years after last entering on a visitors visa

Michael
    You did not answer my question ! DID YOU SEE "THE CRYING GAME" ? I think the problem is that he used 2 passports to come in and out of the country before without appearing to overstay and USCIS hates that !

on what basis he applyed for adjustment? Your marriage?

Did he also overstay the first time he entered the US, 6 years ago?

Eileen

You are not giving enough information to be provided accurate advise. What type of interview was this.. example: an employment interview or was it interview based on marriage to us citizen ?

are you us citizen? if so .were petitions filed based on marriage to us citizen to apply for permanent resident.

Also Eileen

it looks like he came VWP.(Visa Waiver) can you confirm this? If so.. USCIS frowns on this big time.

Michael.... I saw the crying game. Was that you playing that part... All this time I thought that it was bob hoskins I didnt know you got down like that.

USCIS may or may not like VWP applicants but they cannot deny an application just because the alien uses the VWP. In fact, if he was really entitled to dual citizenship then he did not break the law if he has answered truthfully to all questions presented by officials.
    If the reason for the denial is simply that he did not bring his other passport then it's simply ridiculous, there has to be more to the story.
    Having dual citizenship is not a negative factor, neither is entering using either passport when the alien is LEGALLY entitled to such document and it was NOT illegally procured. Denying an application because of a failure to present a document without any opportunity to rectify should be seen as an abuse of discretionary powers.
    This is NOT legal advice.