free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: -----

mike_2007 - did the car belong to your friend? Or, did he borrow someone else's? Did he have anyone else in the car with him?

Apparently they did nothing to your friend.
    He was temporarily detained (perhaps due to technical error in the system) and released upon check up.
    It doesn't appear that they abused their authority or did anything beyond what was necessary at the moment.

Agree with Rational.

Your friend should get a life.

Unfortunately Mike, they do have a right to detain folks at the border for pretty much any reason if they suspect any type of illegal entry or activity. I agree, it's an abuse of authority, they have way too much power, but there's not much you can do about it, except maybe write to your senator and have them look into it.
    A similar thing happened to me, I am a USC, went over to Canada and they practically tore my car apart, and detained me for a short time, finally released me. On another occasion, me and my USC sister and her children were detained and they seperated all of us because they did not believe that her children were hers.
    In both instances, we were unjustly detained and delayed, without apparent cause.
    It's crazy how much power the border patrol has, and I agree that it is not right.
    He can contact his senator to express his concern and try to change current legislation.

Border Patrol does not have unlimited power, nor there was an abuse of authority in OP described case.

There was a case of abuse I have once upon a time read about (and I will cite it just as an example of what may constitute an abuse of power/wrongful detention):

Case involved nearly 80 years old woman , a Naturalized United States Citizen, who was detained due to suspicion that she had fake passport. The officer thought that she glued her picture on someone else's passport.
    She was deported next day (after being kept in detention overnight).
    Her son later brought a suit and it was settled out of court.
    Cases like that are extremely rare, but only a case like that would have a true merit.

Mike,
    Since the institution of the Patriot Act in 2001, and Homeland Security now overseeing the USCIS since 2003, America is truly becoming a different place.
    You are a smart man because you have identified something wrong with the detainment of an innocent man. This should not happen in America...at least the America that I once knew.
    In the early 1930's in Nazi Germany, much of the same things were happening. It started off slow, and no one seemed to notice, except the few it was happening to. No one really spoke up, because it was not happening to them. Pretty soon, the power of the government swung horribly out of balance and people were getting carted off to governmentally sanctioned relocations. Well, we all know how this story ended don't we?
    Kind of reminds me of the frog...
    There once was a frog who was placed in a large pot of cold water...The frog enjoyed swimming in the water, and could actually leap out at any given moment, if he chose to. Unbenounced to the frog, pretty soon, someone turned on a flame beneath the pot. The frog continued to swim and even though the water was getting warmer, the frog did not notice. Pretty soon the frog was dead, boiled in the water he once enjoyed, and not able to discern that the very pot he thought was safe, was the cause of his own demise.
    You are correct in your discernment of something being out of balance with this situation, I wish everyone would wake up and see it as well. But we all know that that is not going to happen...
    NHF

I have passed through POE twice and not been questioned for more than a couple of minutes ( regular questions like those asked of everyone else).
    I personally know number of people who have applied for GC or USC and been approved lately (some faster than others, but with the same results).

Been pulled over by Police three times in past 7 years, once for not fully stopping at stop sign and twice for speeding (I am very good driver and those were very rare faults on my part).
    I have NOT been issued tickets on any of those occasions!
    Just verbally warned after routine NCDB check up and asked to drive safely (which I did).
    I live in a State where it's said that Police is occasionally oversteps its' boundaries.
    May I be d-a-m-n-ed if I ever add to the chorus of those who claim so.

Point is: Yes, State has all the power and right to enforce its' laws and if anyone was ever mistreated, I would bet that in 99 out of 100 cases it was a result of one's own doing.

As to your friend, nothing really happened to him: he was simply checked due to some hit in the system on his plates and let go after his records were cleared.

Get a life.