50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Citizenship for Husband

I am an American citizen, late last year I married a Mexican immigrant. I am currently a pre-med student and have been having a hard time figuring out what could or needs to be done in order to allow my husband to become legal. I have heard rumors that people are being deported at their last meeting, and a different situation where the illegal party has to leave the country and stay a few months in their country for up to a year and a marriage has to take place there. I have searched to find out more information, with no luck. I have a hectic schedule that does not permit any leniency in time. Does anyone have any information that could help us?

I am an American citizen, late last year I married a Mexican immigrant. I am currently a pre-med student and have been having a hard time figuring out what could or needs to be done in order to allow my husband to become legal. I have heard rumors that people are being deported at their last meeting, and a different situation where the illegal party has to leave the country and stay a few months in their country for up to a year and a marriage has to take place there. I have searched to find out more information, with no luck. I have a hectic schedule that does not permit any leniency in time. Does anyone have any information that could help us?

Hi Yovy,

Welcome! You will find more information on your situation at a different website: http://immigrate2us.net/forum/index.php

There are many members over there who will be able to share their experiences with you.

Good luck!

Hello Yovy

all will depend on husbands current status and how he entered the USA.

Did your husband enter in a legal way and is just an overstay?

Or did your husband enter uninspected as in sneaked across the border undetected?

answer those questions and we can further direct to to proper channels to follow to get him legal.

\

If your husband entered the US legally and then became illegal by way of overstaying, he is eligible to adjust his status without having to leave the US.

If he didn't enter the US legally, the only way for him to gain legal status is by voluntarily leaving the country and going back to Mexico. You would then be able to file for him. He would be given a 10 year ban and would be denied at his interview, but that denial gives you the opportunity to file an I-601 waiver, in which you have to prove hardship should he not be allowed in to the US and you were forced to relocate to his country. The scope of hardship is pretty broad and covers everything from finances to education.

The information you got about having to marry in his country is false.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch