ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



Immigration Daily

Chinese Immig. Daily

The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: visa

  1. #1
    I am a legal resident can I help my fiancee get a visa he is in jamaica

  2. #2
    I am a legal resident can I help my fiancee get a visa he is in jamaica

  3. #3
    Originally posted by MARSHA:

    I am a legal resident can I help my fiancee get a visa he is in jamaica

    Below is the copy-paste:

    "The new V1 and V2 nonimmigrant visas allow certain spouses of lawful permanent residents and the children of those spouses to travel to and from the US and to reside in the US while they wait for the final completion of their immigration process. It does not matter whether that process will be completed by adjusting status in the US or in securing an immigrant visa overseas. The spouse and unmarried children of lawful permanent residents who qualify for the V1 and V2 visas will be able to visit and reside with their lawful permanent resident family member. The V visas for adults will be valid for multiple requests for entry for ten years; for children under the age of 11, these visas will also be issued for multiple entries and with a 10 validity date; for children 11 years old or older, the visa will be valid for multiple requests to enter and will remain valid until the holder's 21st birth day. Moreover, holders of V1 and V2 visas may apply for employment authorization documents to work in the US. Other benefits available with V1 and V2 status after admission or after INS has changed an alien's status, are discussed at the INS website,"

  4. #4
    Copy-paste from uscis website:


    The Legal Immigration Family Equity Act and its amendments (LIFE Act) established a new nonimmigrant category (V) within the immigration law that allows the spouse or child of a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident to live and work in the United States in a nonimmigrant category. The spouse or child can remain in the United States while they wait until they are able to apply for lawful permanent residence status (Adjusting Status), or for an immigrant visa, instead of having to wait outside the United States as the law previously required.

    Where Can I Find the Law?

    The Immigration and Nationality Act is a law that governs immigration to the United States. For the part of the law concerning V nonimmigrant status and the process of applying for permanent residence status, please see INA 101(a)(15) and 214(o) (V nonimmigrant status); 248 (change of status); and 245 (immigration petition and adjustment of status). The specific eligibility requirements and procedures for qualifying as a V nonimmigrant, obtaining that status and applying for permanent residence are included in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR 214.15, 248, and 245.

    Who is Eligible?

    A person may apply at a U.S. consulate abroad for a V-1 or V-2 visa or seek V-1 or V-2 nonimmigrant status while in the United States, if that person:

    is lawfully married to a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States (V-1), or is the unmarried child (under the age of 21) of a Lawful Permanent Resident (V-2); and
    is the principal beneficiary of a relative petition (Form I-130) that was filed by the Lawful Permanent Resident spouse/parent on or before December 21, 2000; and
    has been waiting at least 3 years since the petition was filed for status as a Lawful Permanent Resident because the petition is still pending, or has been approved but:
    an immigrant visa is not yet available; or,
    there is a pending application to adjust status or application for an immigrant visa.
    The derivative child of a V-1 or V-2 nonimmigrant is eligible for a V-3 visa or for V-3 status.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 02:27 PM
  2. USA visa : EAD(employment authorization doc) on L2 Visa for job
    By rajat in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 06:28 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 07:01 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 12:53 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2002, 01:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: