publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Can an L1 visa holder change her visa status to F2 before the first one expires?

Hello,
    I am holding an F1 visa, which is valid till Jul 2006. My wife, who is currently working in India, is given an option to take a transfer to US (intra co. transfer). If she accepts that, and if her visa is granted, she will come here with L1 visa. We like to consider this offer, but the problem is that we are not sure what would happen if she leaves her job after 6 months or so? the confusion arises as we are told that once someone changes her visa status from L1, he/she has to work outside for at least 1 year prior to his/her new application. Now I have two specific questions:
    1) If she decides to leave her job in jun 2005, say, and if her L1 visa is valid till Dec 2005, then is she eligible to apply for a f2 visa in Jun2005?
    2) If she leaves her job before Dec 2005, is she eligible to apply for another job in US? and if she gets something, does she still have to leave the country after dec2005 (assuming her old L1 visa expires on Dec2005)?
    I would appreciate if any of you can provide me with some information/advice regarding this. Thank you in advance.

Hello,
    I am holding an F1 visa, which is valid till Jul 2006. My wife, who is currently working in India, is given an option to take a transfer to US (intra co. transfer). If she accepts that, and if her visa is granted, she will come here with L1 visa. We like to consider this offer, but the problem is that we are not sure what would happen if she leaves her job after 6 months or so? the confusion arises as we are told that once someone changes her visa status from L1, he/she has to work outside for at least 1 year prior to his/her new application. Now I have two specific questions:
    1) If she decides to leave her job in jun 2005, say, and if her L1 visa is valid till Dec 2005, then is she eligible to apply for a f2 visa in Jun2005?
    2) If she leaves her job before Dec 2005, is she eligible to apply for another job in US? and if she gets something, does she still have to leave the country after dec2005 (assuming her old L1 visa expires on Dec2005)?
    I would appreciate if any of you can provide me with some information/advice regarding this. Thank you in advance.

re: question 1), it is possible to change your status while you have a valid visa, so a change to a status of student dependent would not be a problem.
    2) In order for her to be eligible to work outside the L1 visa, she would need to be either a dependent of yours, under the student dependent status or get an L1 through another company. She does not need to leave the U.s. as long as she files for a change of status in time and way before the visa expires.