free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: immigrating after studies

Hello,

I am a 18 years old girl from Germany and I will go to America to go to college there this august.I will go with a student visa, for which I will have the interview very soon.I have read that I will have to sign a paper that I leave the Y.S. after my studies.But that is not my intention.I was planning to work there after my studies.
    So now I am a bit confused about what to do-should I sign this paper and pretend as if I am not planning to immigrate(and also say that in the interview) or should I let them know about my plans?
    And besides that, do I have to apply for a green card before I go to America or can I do this during the 6 years I will study there?
    Please answer quick, my interview is soon.
    Thank you
    Cori

Hello,

I am a 18 years old girl from Germany and I will go to America to go to college there this august.I will go with a student visa, for which I will have the interview very soon.I have read that I will have to sign a paper that I leave the Y.S. after my studies.But that is not my intention.I was planning to work there after my studies.
    So now I am a bit confused about what to do-should I sign this paper and pretend as if I am not planning to immigrate(and also say that in the interview) or should I let them know about my plans?
    And besides that, do I have to apply for a green card before I go to America or can I do this during the 6 years I will study there?
    Please answer quick, my interview is soon.
    Thank you
    Cori

Cori,
    It's simple, if your intent is to study for now, just say that. If you mention that you want to immigrate, you are probably going to get denied since the student visa is not an immigrant visa. The officer will ask you to apply for an immigrant visa. Then you will stay stuck in Germany.

Now your ultimate intent is to immigrate, right? Keep it for yourself.

For now, try to get your student visa. Once in USA and after your study, you wil be sure of your options. I think with a student visa, as long as you dont run into big troubles, you should have laternatives to become permanent reisdent.

My golden advise to you is to not apply for a J1 visa. That might make your case very complicated in the future.

For now, try to get a student visa and dont mention your immigration intent since that's not your intent right now.

Good luck for your interview.

Hey Cisse,

Thank you so much for your answer.I might have done a big mistake by mentioning my intentions...
    I just thought maybe it could give me trouble if I DONT mention it, later, if i want to immigrate, but if u say its the opposite I will shut my mouth
    So what do you think is the best way to get a permanent residency and WHEN should I start taking steps for it???
    Thanx again
    Cori

Ah..something else...do you know what exactly is exspecting me in this interview???
    And what is the best way to do it???

Cori,

First of all, I would suggest you take your head off the permanent residency. First things first: Focus on the student visa. Once you are here, you will have all the time to figure that one out.

For the interview, I dont think there is a need to worry. Smile, give short responses to the questions (no need to tel grandma stories). Dont bring up any issue unless they mention it. Typically, be prepared to answer the following question.( I have provided the type of answers I would give if I were you).

1-What is the purpose of your trip ? (Study)
    2-What school? (Name it)
    3-Who is paying for your school ? (provide proof of financial support)
    4- Do you intend to immigrate? (No)
    5- Have you done anything such and such (e.g: drug traffic, human traffic, war criminal, etc.): respond honestly to those questions. I you think you have not been involved in any trouble, be prepared to respond no each time.

You may have additional questions, maybe other people will help add them here. I believe the basic questions are mentioned above.
    Godd luck

Hey cisse,

Well no I dont have a criminal record, so that shouldnt be a problem...
    I was just panicking that if I go to the US without letting them know i intent to immigrate I have missed my chance and it might be too late...
    But if you say its not like that i will relax and as u say, plan further things when I am over there.
    Ok,
    thamx again
    Cori

Hello Cory,

I spent 4 years in your country so want to say Welcome to mine! You sure have your life planned out for one so young! lol

Hi,
    Yeah thats true I definitely have my life planned out
    I know its a bit crazy to plan in 6 years advance but I just dont wanna do any mistakes or miss chances, as I have the feeling this immigration thing is not one of the easiest...
    So you have been to Germany?
    Did you study there or what did you do?
    Which city have u been to?
    Greetings Cori

I was in the US military. I was at Pioneer Kascerne in Hanau. When I finished my military
    obligation I went back to Germany for a year as I was engaged to a Brit who worked at the kascerne. To make a long story short the relationship ended and I came back home. I'm old enough to be your parent.

Do you have friends and family in the US? What state will you be in?