50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: can you use congress or senator office for immigration inquiry

Hi, does USCIS get bothered if someone makes a immigration inquiry with the help of Congress?

Hi, does USCIS get bothered if someone makes a immigration inquiry with the help of Congress?

No. Why should it be the case. But be sure first that your inquiry falls under the "extraordinary" nature of circumstances, e.g., way beyond the normal processing time, misapplication of law, a clear error on the part of the USCIS that resulted to an unfavorable decision, etc., and you have already exhausted all normal administrative remedies to no avail. Because, anyway, what your Congressman or Senator's liaison office will do is just contact the Congressional Committee which is also "within" the USCIS.

I concur with Rough Neighbor. My initial experience in using a congressional liason in inquiring about a USCIS case was to learn that what I thought was an extraordinary processing delay wasn't really extraordinary after all (i.e., 5 months on an I-129F). --SJR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bluebrightsky:
    Hi, does USCIS get bothered if someone makes a immigration inquiry with the help of Congress? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If your petition is overaged, that is it is beyond the processing time for a filed petition, or you feel you are getting the run a round by USCIS employees, contacting your Congresman or Senator may help. Every federal agency has a select group of individuals that handle congressional inquiries. USCIS will need to explain why the delay in processing or why the petition has not been resolved. A compiliation of all the congressional inquiries will be summed up in a report when the appropiations are being considered. It oculd either help or hurt the agency. And it could help you, but you need to have done everything possible for USCIS to resolve your petition before you go to a Congressional office for help.

When you do call or go, you will speak to one of the aides who specializes in immigration. They will take your information and make the inquiry themselves on behalf of the Senator or Congressma or woman.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre