50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Immigration Law Question: Right to know information

I sponsored a lady with a fiance visa into the USA, within the 90 day requirement were married. Afterwards,I applied for a change of status for her from Visa to Resident. On the same day of the appointment for her demographics (photo and fingerprints) she told me she was leaving, so I requested from her that she sign a letter stating she was leaving and wanted to end our marriage, she did that. I immediately sent that signed document to the immigration office processing her resident change of status where before of the document they denied her resident (green card), I proceed immediately to obtain a divorce and emailed that office in California where they replied that they no longer had the case. I visited the local immigration office and they too didn't give me information. I believe I have the right to know what her immigration status is and want to locate what office has her "A" folder so I can send the divorce papers to be inserted in her folder. She used me to enter the country and I want to make sure immigration has all update information on this case. If anyone can assist me in my question I would greatly appreciate it..

I sponsored a lady with a fiance visa into the USA, within the 90 day requirement were married. Afterwards,I applied for a change of status for her from Visa to Resident. On the same day of the appointment for her demographics (photo and fingerprints) she told me she was leaving, so I requested from her that she sign a letter stating she was leaving and wanted to end our marriage, she did that. I immediately sent that signed document to the immigration office processing her resident change of status where before of the document they denied her resident (green card), I proceed immediately to obtain a divorce and emailed that office in California where they replied that they no longer had the case. I visited the local immigration office and they too didn't give me information. I believe I have the right to know what her immigration status is and want to locate what office has her "A" folder so I can send the divorce papers to be inserted in her folder. She used me to enter the country and I want to make sure immigration has all update information on this case. If anyone can assist me in my question I would greatly appreciate it..

You can file an FOIA request, but they can take a while and due to privacy laws, some things may be excluded.

If her green card was denied and appeals have failed, there is no other way for her to adjust her status in the US. In the case of K-1, it must be through the original sponsor, so even marriage to someone else will not stop her from having to return to her home country.

All correspondence should go to the main USCIS address.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Thank you Aroha, I will send the divorce papers to the main USCIS address including her A number and my information. That should bring closure to this situation. After that life continues..

Michael, include a letter stating that you are withdrawing your sponsorship if you haven't already.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Thanks for your advise. I already did that the moment she lefted alone with a letter she signed stating she was leaving. With my withdrawing and that letter they denied her the green card.. I was told by the processing center in California I didn't have to do anything further, but I would like to submit the divorce papers to put closure to this issue..