50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Political asylum

This is for my brother who came in 1998 and overstayed.In Jan2002 he got arrested for possesion of fake ID's and since is in jail .The INS has put a hold on him.From the jail he had filed for political asylum and already recieved the A number and interview date. the federal judge is totally in favor of my brother and wants to let him out only if the INS takes the hold off ,because otherwise they might deport him.Please suggest anything that you think we can do and also if he is still deportable under the INS hold .The asylum reciept says that he can remain in the US until a decision has been made.Please help me ! Thanks

This is for my brother who came in 1998 and overstayed.In Jan2002 he got arrested for possesion of fake ID's and since is in jail .The INS has put a hold on him.From the jail he had filed for political asylum and already recieved the A number and interview date. the federal judge is totally in favor of my brother and wants to let him out only if the INS takes the hold off ,because otherwise they might deport him.Please suggest anything that you think we can do and also if he is still deportable under the INS hold .The asylum reciept says that he can remain in the US until a decision has been made.Please help me ! Thanks

Possession of fake ID is a crime in this country
    and your brother overstaying his visa is of course a deportable offense under INS laws.
    Unfortunately, the asylum is a way out and there might be some problems convincing INS on this matter as your brother has committed the violation prior to the filing of the asylum.
    While the IJ might be considerate in your brother, there is no way INS will release your brother for a scheduled interview on his asylum.
    Asylum as we know is a political strategy but not a way out to escape justice.

True this isn't the biggest crime that can be committed. It's certainly not a violent crime. It's not the same as dealing drugs or smuggling guns. However, it is a misdemeanor offense. In the U.S., penalties vary from state to state, but can include jail time, fines, community service, and suspension of your (real) driver's license.

In some states, the use of a fake driver's license has been made into a felony. A felony is more serious than a misdemeanor. In the short term, it means more jail time, higher fines, and years-long suspension of driving privileges. In the long term, a felony means you now have a criminal record. That will make it much harder for you to find a job, it can mean difficulties getting into school, and you may never be allowed to own a gun or vote.