publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Got DV2005 notification - now what?

Yey, we got notified that we selected (EU zone).
    However we are in States right now (before anyone got worked up - we are legally here ), and thus i would imagine liable to file AOS.

Unfortunately closest INS office is about 8 hours drive away, and its pain to go there since my job schedule is pretty packed, so i cant really get hold of any INS officers on the phone to confirm and ask.

So what do we do? Which forms ought to be filed? Documentation package they sending with notification seems to be only for case when you do it through embassy, and there is very little about AOS procedure

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Yey, we got notified that we selected (EU zone).
    However we are in States right now (before anyone got worked up - we are legally here ), and thus i would imagine liable to file AOS.

Unfortunately closest INS office is about 8 hours drive away, and its pain to go there since my job schedule is pretty packed, so i cant really get hold of any INS officers on the phone to confirm and ask.

So what do we do? Which forms ought to be filed? Documentation package they sending with notification seems to be only for case when you do it through embassy, and there is very little about AOS procedure

Any advice greatly appreciated.

You need an I-485 package but the earliest you can file is 10/04. DV-2005 is from October 1, 2004 to September 30, 2005. You also need to check the State Department's website to make sure your rank number (the EU number) is current. You cannot file until the month your rank number is current or the month before. The visa bulletin is put out once a month (generally on or around the 15th of the month)for the next month and the rank numbers for the current month and the projection for the next month are on there. Let me give you an example:

Say your rank number is EU-12481 and the below was what the visa bulletins said were the current rank numbers for the appropriate months (these numbers are for this example only they are not real numbers so do not rely on them)

October 2004 EU-4382
    November 2004 EU-5781
    December 2004 EU-9437
    January 2005 EU-10425
    February 2005 EU-13312

The earliest you could file your AOS application is January 2005 because your rank number is current in February 2005. Or you could always file in February 2005 or anytime thereafter. One last thing, if you have a high rank number you may not get a chance to file at all. Winning the DV lottery doesn't mean you will get an opportunity to file a green card. If you see in the August 2005 bulletin that your number is not current for September 2005 don't waste your money and file anyway because the numbers do not change once the visa bulletin is posted.