50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestion for this delicate matter?

Hi, i was wondering if somebody know what happens if u get charge with Domestic violence( went to jail that night) but didnt get convicted and plea not guilty. After all that the judge dismissed the case. The fight was with my brother and neighbour called the cops so they took both of us to jail. Now if i want to apply for green card can i do it?

Hi, i was wondering if somebody know what happens if u get charge with Domestic violence( went to jail that night) but didnt get convicted and plea not guilty. After all that the judge dismissed the case. The fight was with my brother and neighbour called the cops so they took both of us to jail. Now if i want to apply for green card can i do it?

It shouldn't matter if it was thrown out.
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

But lot of people told me they treat the case differently if u go to immigration court or criminal court. U think thats true?

How long ago was it? Personally I would have the arrest sealed or expunged, as this could affect you later on when you apply for Citizenship.

Domestic violence isn't looked upon lightly, even if it was dismissed. If it doesn't stop your getting a GC..it may well delay it when doing background checks.
    You could ask an immigration attorney to be sure as we don't know all your details, status or your history.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint_girl07:
    .. the arrest sealed or expunged, as this could affect you later on when you apply for Citizenship. . </div></BLOCKQUOTE> that doesn't help, just makes things more complicated when asked to bring papers about the incident/arrest.

Aneri, not necessarily. When asked about previous, they only require the last X amount of years.

Depending when the OP applies for Citizenship..this may not be included as it will be out of the time frame they ask for and what is required.

OP hasn't applied for GC yet, better time to do it is now.

Either way, it is better to take the arrest off his records, for other reasons.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did expunged it. Thats is the problem. When i go to apply that lady tells me to go get a court disposition and when i go to the clerk office they say they have nothing on file. But my main concern is can i apply for a green card or no without getting in the removal proceeding it happen 3 years ago.

Not sure if this makes a difference to an answer or not, but what status are you now? Are you here on a visa?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WAQAS:
    But my main concern is can i apply for a green card or no without getting in the removal proceeding it happen 3 years ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> you are not going to be deported if charges were dismissed... but you'll need papers to prove that.
    To make it sure, do you know what is the max sentence for what you were charged with?