ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Green card holder marying illegal

  1. #1
    USC can petition Illegal spouse. Can LPR petition Illegal?

  2. #2
    USC can petition Illegal spouse. Can LPR petition Illegal?

  3. #3

  4. #4
    AF/IE,Why Almost every single immigration lawyers recommends LPR holder to become citizen in order to sponsor illegal spouse. Is it because USC's processing time is faster than LPR sponsor?

  5. #5
    That's one reason (not having to wait for a visa number). Another one is in the event of the illegal status is due to an overstay, he/she can adjust status without having to leave the US first. This privilege is limited to those whose spouse is an USC.

  6. #6
    marmaduk is incorrect.
    Once Visa is available (PD Current), spouses of LPR are subject to the same AOS rules as USC spouse.

  7. #7
    If the illegal spouse has to go back to his/her origin country, Does that person has to wait for 10 years due to overstay violation? is there any waiver?

    thanks mmaduk

  8. #8
    AF, Can the illegal spouse remains in the USA while waiting for the Visa number? Can that person get AED?

  9. #9
    1. It all depends on specific circumstances (EWIs must be processed abroad. Simple overstays are not required to go home if AS through immediate USC/LPR relative).

    2. Waivers (I-601) for 3-10 year bars do exist.

    3. As a spouse of LPR one is not eligible for any immigration benefits until the PD is current (V Visa is no longer issued).

  10. #10
    While awaiting the PD to be current, what is the immigration status of that illegal spouse if he/she insists to remain the US ( if cannot remain in US, Can he/she be deported and bar to get legal status forever since he/she violates immigration law for being overstay and remains in the US while waiting for current PD)

    Thanks AF/IE.

    By the way, your prediction on Comprehensive Immigration Reform is very close to become reality!

Similar Threads

  1. green card holder
    By tmaggs in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 11:18 AM
  2. marriage with green card holder
    By coolgrl78 in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 07:51 PM
  3. Marrying a green card holder
    By Kunichiwa in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 08:36 PM
  4. HELP! F-2 Visa Holder NEEDS GREEN CARD!
    By in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 11:39 AM
  5. Green card through marrage to a green card holder
    By in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 11:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: