Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: AOS

The instruction sheet for Form I-698 says:
    "To be eligible for permanent residence under section 245A, you must -
    1. Apply for adjustment during the one-year period beginning with the 19th month that begins after the date you were granted temporary residence status."

When does the 19 month period start? From the date the AOS applicat entered US or from the date on which the non-immigrant visa was granted by the US Consulate?

Example - The AOS applicant entered the US on July 11, 2008 but his H1-B visa was granted on June 12, 2007.

Would appreciate anybody sharing some light on thematter. Thanks.

The instruction sheet for Form I-698 says:
    "To be eligible for permanent residence under section 245A, you must -
    1. Apply for adjustment during the one-year period beginning with the 19th month that begins after the date you were granted temporary residence status."

When does the 19 month period start? From the date the AOS applicat entered US or from the date on which the non-immigrant visa was granted by the US Consulate?

Example - The AOS applicant entered the US on July 11, 2008 but his H1-B visa was granted on June 12, 2007.

Would appreciate anybody sharing some light on thematter. Thanks.

I would say the period started from the date that was on the H1-B visa.

Form I-698 amd 245A have nothing to do with H-1B or any non-immigrant status you get at a consulate. If you are filing for AOS from temporary resident status to permanent resident status, then you know what temporary resident status is and you know when it began. You're most likely using the wrong form.

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I also thought so because the wording says "granted".

Yeah, that has to do with those who were applying for the 86 amnesty.

All the employment visa petitions when approved do have the date when your visa petitions will expires..(That is for the Companies)
    Most of the company select the applicants some time late and sent the appointment letters late by the time the applicant arrive in the country he had only four months or so.....
    Then the company go and get the stamped in the passport the new validity date ...
    Now which of the date he/she will use...

Again, Form I-698 does not apply to the "grant" of a nonimmigrant visa. It has to do with the grant of temporary resident status (very, very, very different).

Now, to answer Kumar555's question- technically the day your visa is granted is the day it's stamped in your passport. However, your status does not kick in until you enter the country.

The day you enter the Country that is the time you start you day you entered U.S. and the Inspector at POE will stamp you passport if it is valid for not less the six months.
    Thanks for you comments

Bawaji: samag aweigi( samag parighi tamy)

Your Passport should be valid for six months at the time of you entry into United States....