50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Where to start?

I'm a UK citizen and currently working with multinational bank in the UK. I have both a Bachelors and Masters degree as well as professional qualifications and 5+ years of finance sector experience. I've tried to obtain a job in US via the organisation but there are no current vacancies. Could someone inform me the first steps to take in order to obtain work in US (pref. NY or CT). Is is poss to obtain a visa without having a job lined up and simply move to US to seek a job or do I have to secure employment first? Could someone recommend a law firm in the UK (Scotland) that would be able to provide answers to my questions.

I'm a UK citizen and currently working with multinational bank in the UK. I have both a Bachelors and Masters degree as well as professional qualifications and 5+ years of finance sector experience. I've tried to obtain a job in US via the organisation but there are no current vacancies. Could someone inform me the first steps to take in order to obtain work in US (pref. NY or CT). Is is poss to obtain a visa without having a job lined up and simply move to US to seek a job or do I have to secure employment first? Could someone recommend a law firm in the UK (Scotland) that would be able to provide answers to my questions.

Hello Ricky

Welcome to the forum. You cannomove to the US to seek work per say But you can come to visit us. I believe you have a Visa waiver program in UK. no visa needed. You can visit for "holiday" "shopping" tourisim. You may not have "immigrant" intent as it is visa fraud. While you are here "shopping" you can shop for work in the industry. When you find something you like, you will have to go back to UK where the company will make arrangements 4u to come here on a H-1b visa to eventually sponser you for a greencard. If you have wife & children 4 family they can join u in the application, but they will not be able to have authorizatoin to work.

Whatever u do, do not overstay! just go home and come back again or apply for a tourist visa that would cover a 6 month period.

if looking for lawfirms in Uk, I recommend you try other immi forum at Britishexpats.com. There are many UK people there with these experiences.

Best wishes.

Hi Ricky, 4now is absolutely right pertaining to the H1b visa.Whereas they work on world global quota basis which opens on the 1st of october.USCIS has already reeived over 40000 applications pending for approval out of the 60000 availible for 2005.The quota will not open again until Oct.2005.Therefore plan in advance.You do also have other options such as the L1 if there were to be vacancy in the US and your employer would be willing to transfer you.Many other options could also be considered depending on your particular situation.You definately need to consult.I recommend in North America where the consultants are probably more knowledgeable of US immigration.
    I know of a firm in Montreal who offer a free assessment and guarantee their work. Contact Sebastien at jslizotte@noramimmigration.com.You can tell him i referred you.