free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawyers

I`m from the uk, I went to the US in apr 07 to marry my wife, a USC, believing we would be able to do the immigration process from there, upon marrying we filed a I-130 and several months later we received a letter from NVC telling me I would have to travel back to uk for an interview to complete immigration . My wife called visa centre and explained I was living in the US and had been since we married and couldnt we do the interview there, we were told because I arrived there under the visa waiver programme I should have applied to adjust my status within three months of arriving in US and would therefore have to return to the UK for interview. By the time I arrived back in the UK for my interview I had been in the US just over a year, when I was being interviewed I was told that because I had overstayed my welcome in the US I had incurred an automatic 10 yr ban and I would now have to file a I-601 to waive the grounds of inadmissibility, my question is would people recommend we hire a lawyer to do this for us or is it something we could do ourselves , any advice would be appreciated.

I`m from the uk, I went to the US in apr 07 to marry my wife, a USC, believing we would be able to do the immigration process from there, upon marrying we filed a I-130 and several months later we received a letter from NVC telling me I would have to travel back to uk for an interview to complete immigration . My wife called visa centre and explained I was living in the US and had been since we married and couldnt we do the interview there, we were told because I arrived there under the visa waiver programme I should have applied to adjust my status within three months of arriving in US and would therefore have to return to the UK for interview. By the time I arrived back in the UK for my interview I had been in the US just over a year, when I was being interviewed I was told that because I had overstayed my welcome in the US I had incurred an automatic 10 yr ban and I would now have to file a I-601 to waive the grounds of inadmissibility, my question is would people recommend we hire a lawyer to do this for us or is it something we could do ourselves , any advice would be appreciated.

You married illegally,under immigration law and terms. You came here with false reasons given.

You should have applied to a fiance visa,instead of coming to the US and pretending you come here as a visitor,but reality was,coming here and getting married and trying to by pass the immigration requeiments by going by the steps "fiance visa"

Alot of people do what you do and face to be returned home to file all applicatiion and interviews and all the medical test and shots.

I do not blame them. You can expect and think "well once I am here and I get married,they can not sent me back" Guess what,they can and they are doing it.

Remember You came to the US asa tourist and pretended,you are here just for vacation and will return,but reality was,u came here to gte married.So,they are no dummies at the immigration. And I am 100%sure,when came to the US u did not tell the US border officer at the passport check "Hi I came here to marry my girlfriend" You butt would have been sent home right then and there...

You try to do the otherway and you got caught.
    My advice...go home and do the interview and have it behind you. You just wasted money...
    fiance visa is the best,fastest secure way,without worries. See what situation you are in now?

pusspuss-

In order to get a waiver of inadmissibility you need to show that your wife will suffer "extreme hardship" under US law if you are not allowed into the country. Since I doubt that you know what is required to show "extreme hardship," you will need to either do a lot of research to become acquainted with this legal term, or hire an attorney who can do it for you. Beware however, there are tons of bad immigration attorneys out there. If you are going to hire some cut rate attorney, you would be better off doing it for yourself.
    Note: This is not legal advice. For legal advice contact a competent immigration attorney. http://asylumlaw.blogspot.com

Thanks senowen, I have done some research into proving the "extreme hardship" to my spouse and have a good idea what,s required. I guess my question is more about whether the authorities would give more credence to the evidence submitted to support my I-601 if it was prepared by a lawyer as opposed to myself. Also if I decide to hire a lawyer to do it for us how do I go about finding a reputable one who knows what they,re doing when it comes to immigration law.

pusspuss -

One way to find a good immigration lawyer is to search the lawyer locator at http://www.martindale.com/ for peer reviewed immigration lawyers in your area. Not the only way, but pretty easy.

Here's the thing though, an I-601 is essentially unreviewable by a court. It's completely discretionary. I don't think hiring an attorney is going to give you a ***p all by itself. However, attorneys with experience will know what kind of documentation you need and how to put it together in a professional manner. Sounds simple, but might just be the difference between joining your wife or not.
    Note: This is not legal advice. For legal advice contact a competent immigration attorney. http://asylumlaw.blogspot.com

Someone12
    visa cheat = dirtbag = visa cheat...
    and how in the world are you going to prove "extreme hardship" coming from the UK? What, your wife will have to survive on 3 day old Weetabix? There is no difference in lifestyle between our economy and that of the UK....there is no malaria, no bad water, etc....so go ahead, and try to dream up some horse manure...and go the extra kilometer and pay thousands to some ethically challenged immigration attorney...they cannot affect the outcome...they only charge morons thousands for making copies of phony papers and writing ***** tales. But you violated the trust you were given, thus you are a dirtbag.

TO ALL THAT COME TO USA!!! If You Truly wish to reside here and Learn Of The Laws and ways? Following The Rules are Extremely Important!!!!

Something So Important! Yet The Lax In Concerne From The Beginning!!! Start True and End True!!!! Anything Else Only Leads To Eventual Disappointment!!! Noones Fault But self!!!
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Someone12:
    and how in the world are you going to prove "extreme hardship" coming from the UK? What, your wife will have to survive on 3 day old Weetabix? There is no difference in lifestyle between our economy and that of the UK....there is no malaria, no bad water, etc....so go ahead, and try to dream up some horse manure...and go the extra kilometer and pay thousands to some ethically challenged immigration attorney...they cannot affect the outcome...they only charge morons thousands for making copies of phony papers and writing ***** tales. But you violated the trust you were given, thus you are a dirtbag. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be nice, you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Someone12:
    and how in the world are you going to prove "extreme hardship" coming from the UK? What, your wife will have to survive on 3 day old Weetabix? There is no difference in lifestyle between our economy and that of the UK....there is no malaria, no bad water, etc....so go ahead, and try to dream up some horse manure...and go the extra kilometer and pay thousands to some ethically challenged immigration attorney...they cannot affect the outcome...they only charge morons thousands for making copies of phony papers and writing ***** tales. But you violated the trust you were given, thus you are a dirtbag. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

softening up in your old age aren't u getting tired?