50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: slightly huge question

I'm a US citizen, married in Canada to a Canadian and have been here now for 2.5 years. Hubby and I want to move to America but for the I-130 form we noticed it would be sent to the Nebraska service center, which is only NOW processing forms from October '03! But I just went to http://www.aila.org/fileViewer.aspx?docID=17953 and I noticed it says "Pref cases and all new petitions sent to California Service Center, Nov 2004."

Ok, this seems waaaaaaay too good to be true. What I'm understanding here is that if we DO fill out the I-130, it'll be sent to CSC, which is right now processing forms from Feb '05. I'm getting way too excited. Does anyone know if what I'm saying is correct or true? I will love you forever if you say yes.

I'm a US citizen, married in Canada to a Canadian and have been here now for 2.5 years. Hubby and I want to move to America but for the I-130 form we noticed it would be sent to the Nebraska service center, which is only NOW processing forms from October '03! But I just went to http://www.aila.org/fileViewer.aspx?docID=17953 and I noticed it says "Pref cases and all new petitions sent to California Service Center, Nov 2004."

Ok, this seems waaaaaaay too good to be true. What I'm understanding here is that if we DO fill out the I-130, it'll be sent to CSC, which is right now processing forms from Feb '05. I'm getting way too excited. Does anyone know if what I'm saying is correct or true? I will love you forever if you say yes.

If you are in Canada with your husband, you should be able to file your I-130 right there, in the US consulate.
    I don't know specific rules about Canada, but in many countries, such petitions get approved the same day you file them with the consulate.

Call up the american consulate nearest to you, and ask them about their procedure.

Thanks!

Is that for immigrants needing a Visa though? We talked to a lawyer who said we actually don't need a visa since I'm American.

It's all so confusing but thanks for answering. I figure it's better to ask here first before spending $2.25 a minute to call the US consulate.

"Is that for immigrants needing a Visa though? We talked to a lawyer who said we actually don't need a visa since I'm American."

You don't need a visa, but your husband does.

Well... actually, I just thought, that he is a Canadian citizen, right?
    Then he can enter US without a visa too...
    So, what you could do, I guess, is just move to the US with your husband, and fiel your I-130 & your I-485 right there... it won't matter then how long it will take to get it approved, because he can live legally in the US, while his application is pending anyway...