50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: need for previous tax returns?

Some books I have consulted say that a USC needs to show the last 3 yrs tax returns when applying for a green card for their spouse. Some books do not mention this. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Is it necessary and what if a person does not have them? Thanks.

Some books I have consulted say that a USC needs to show the last 3 yrs tax returns when applying for a green card for their spouse. Some books do not mention this. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Is it necessary and what if a person does not have them? Thanks.

The instructions on the affidavit of support says that you need to supply your last 3 tax returns.

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee...s/i-864pkg.pdf

You can call an 800 number for the IRS and they will send you a form to fill out to get your past returns. If you havent filed in 3 years chances are you'll need a co-sponsor, and you'll still need something from the IRS that says you did not file.

so showing w4's from the employers rec'd at the end of the year is not an option?

One of the filing papers to be included in the i485 adjustment of status is the the Affidavit of Support. The USC must provide INS 3 yrs worth of tax returns to help provide and show proof whether the USC can support the applying spouse. The USC spouse must be able to meet and/or exceed 125% over the poverty income level. If not, then a co-sponsor (such as USC spouse's family) is needed to meet that requirement. If you haven't filed, simply make an arrangement with the IRS, accountant or some tax service to help you get back on track and complete the Adjustment of Status filing process.
    Bottom line, you must show INS your 3 yrs worth of tax returns in your affidavit of support. The IRS has changed their customer service for the better (from what I hear from others that have to deal with them), so don't feel intimidated when straightening your tax situation out. Best of luck.