50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: When do you need a lawyer?

A friend is in jail on grounds of overstaying and working illegally. He exited for Canada and was granted one month when he came back in the US but he filed for extension previously and got approved till July 2002. He's never overstayed before but did work. Is he overstaying based on March or the July? When is bail posted? Can it become a mandatory deportation? Does he need a lawyer for the bail procedure? Is it true it will make it easier if you have a lawyer to represent you right at the beginning? Or do you need one only when you appear in court for your first hearing? Many advised to save money not to hire a lawyer for the bail procedure but we're torn in making sure it is the right thing. If he signs a voluntary departure he needs time to settle his affair at least a few months? Can he be granted that? Is he still allowed to come back to the country? Also is there a lawyer in LA you can recommend? Someone good but not too expensive. PLEASE HELP!!!! So confused...

A friend is in jail on grounds of overstaying and working illegally. He exited for Canada and was granted one month when he came back in the US but he filed for extension previously and got approved till July 2002. He's never overstayed before but did work. Is he overstaying based on March or the July? When is bail posted? Can it become a mandatory deportation? Does he need a lawyer for the bail procedure? Is it true it will make it easier if you have a lawyer to represent you right at the beginning? Or do you need one only when you appear in court for your first hearing? Many advised to save money not to hire a lawyer for the bail procedure but we're torn in making sure it is the right thing. If he signs a voluntary departure he needs time to settle his affair at least a few months? Can he be granted that? Is he still allowed to come back to the country? Also is there a lawyer in LA you can recommend? Someone good but not too expensive. PLEASE HELP!!!! So confused...

geez, I never met a lawyer who was good and also not too expensive. I have heard of lawyers doing special service for not so rich immigrants. At http://k1.exit.com a lawyer named folinskylnia recommends attorneys and I am pretty sure she is in los angeles, so she might even be able to help.

I would say that if there are legal battles to be won, you should call in an attorney and get it done right the first time. It's a waste of time and effort to do it yourself when there are legal problems right at the starting gate. INS is by the book. (The book is not too kind these days) Normally you don't need an attorney. But I would say that this person you mention would greatly benefit from one.