1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Gotcha

Plant Raided in Illegal Worker Probe

By WILLIAM McCALL
    Associated Press Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Federal agents on Tuesday raided the offices of a food processing plant suspected of employing hundreds of illegal workers who used Social Security numbers that belonged to other people or were made up.

More than 165 plant workers were detained to be processed for possible deportation, officials said, and three people were indicted on immigration, illegal documents and identity theft charges.

The raid at American Staffing Resources Inc. offices at a Fresh Del Monte Produce fruit and vegetable processing plant was based on an investigation by Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Social Security Administration that began in January, officials said.

Separate American Staffing offices also were searched, along with a Fresh Del Monte office, officials said.

The detained workers were being processed in Washington state, pending an appearance before an immigration judge. More than 30, however, were released because of humanitarian concerns but given a notice to appear, officials said.

Dennise Zavala-Diaz, standing outside the plant in tears, said she had an aunt who worked there.

"It's not fair," Zavala-Diaz said. "They're hardworking people. They're only here to make money to put food in their mouths. They're not hurting anybody."

According to an affidavit filed by Maximillian Trimm, a special agent with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, a check of employee records at one point showed that only 48 of nearly 600 workers at the plant had valid Social Security numbers.

The raid Tuesday involved fewer than 600 workers because of seasonal employment changes and shift work, said Leigh Winchell, agent in charge of the Seattle ICE office.

Federal prosecutors said that 20 of the Social Security numbers being misused belonged to people 60 or older, and that 29 belonged to dead people.

An official at Fresh Del Monte Produce Co. headquarters in Coral Gables, Fla., said the company could not comment until federal investigators gave it more information.

Portland Mayor Tom Potter said that the three arrests were understandable, but that "to go after local workers who are here to support their families while filling the demands of local businesses for their labor is bad policy."

The three indicted were a man accused of re-entering the United States illegally after being convicted of heroin charges and deported to Mexico; a man accused of encouraging an illegal immigrant; and a woman accused of possessing counterfeit alien registration documents, identity theft, selling a Social Security card, and encouraging an illegal immigrant.

A federal judge had authorized agents to search for evidence of violations such as hiring illegal aliens, identity theft and Social Security fraud, according to the U.S. attorney's office in Portland.

The raid was decided on about a month ago and had "absolutely nothing" to do with the immigration reform debate in Congress this week, Winchell said.

"If we have a need to change those laws, it's up to Congress and Washington, D.C., to come up with a comprehensive approach to immigration reform," he said.

Plant Raided in Illegal Worker Probe

By WILLIAM McCALL
    Associated Press Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Federal agents on Tuesday raided the offices of a food processing plant suspected of employing hundreds of illegal workers who used Social Security numbers that belonged to other people or were made up.

More than 165 plant workers were detained to be processed for possible deportation, officials said, and three people were indicted on immigration, illegal documents and identity theft charges.

The raid at American Staffing Resources Inc. offices at a Fresh Del Monte Produce fruit and vegetable processing plant was based on an investigation by Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Social Security Administration that began in January, officials said.

Separate American Staffing offices also were searched, along with a Fresh Del Monte office, officials said.

The detained workers were being processed in Washington state, pending an appearance before an immigration judge. More than 30, however, were released because of humanitarian concerns but given a notice to appear, officials said.

Dennise Zavala-Diaz, standing outside the plant in tears, said she had an aunt who worked there.

"It's not fair," Zavala-Diaz said. "They're hardworking people. They're only here to make money to put food in their mouths. They're not hurting anybody."

According to an affidavit filed by Maximillian Trimm, a special agent with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, a check of employee records at one point showed that only 48 of nearly 600 workers at the plant had valid Social Security numbers.

The raid Tuesday involved fewer than 600 workers because of seasonal employment changes and shift work, said Leigh Winchell, agent in charge of the Seattle ICE office.

Federal prosecutors said that 20 of the Social Security numbers being misused belonged to people 60 or older, and that 29 belonged to dead people.

An official at Fresh Del Monte Produce Co. headquarters in Coral Gables, Fla., said the company could not comment until federal investigators gave it more information.

Portland Mayor Tom Potter said that the three arrests were understandable, but that "to go after local workers who are here to support their families while filling the demands of local businesses for their labor is bad policy."

The three indicted were a man accused of re-entering the United States illegally after being convicted of heroin charges and deported to Mexico; a man accused of encouraging an illegal immigrant; and a woman accused of possessing counterfeit alien registration documents, identity theft, selling a Social Security card, and encouraging an illegal immigrant.

A federal judge had authorized agents to search for evidence of violations such as hiring illegal aliens, identity theft and Social Security fraud, according to the U.S. attorney's office in Portland.

The raid was decided on about a month ago and had "absolutely nothing" to do with the immigration reform debate in Congress this week, Winchell said.

"If we have a need to change those laws, it's up to Congress and Washington, D.C., to come up with a comprehensive approach to immigration reform," he said.

I've entered that article and others related under Illegal Mexican Exploitation.

I've never seen any reason to open a new topic for each and every news article that pops up. Personally speaking, I keep them in one portal.

Not to mention names but there are a couple other OPs that should begin one topic and post all their searches under that specific topic.

No offense, I appreciate your interest.

No offense Explora, but I've seen your 300 articles posted, and there's too many to search through

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeedHelpFast:
    No offense Explora, but I've seen your 300 articles posted, and there's too many to search through </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    NeedHelpFast,
    The reason for them is that most viewers know they're regarding immigration, raids, exploitation, border issues, and others related. There are many of them and one can search or not search. There might be a news article that someone heard about relating, for example, to the emergency border funding. If familiar with the thread, they could select a date around the time of the news and hopefully find one or more articles on it. Often there are articles you won't find on television. They're also there in the event one doesn't have time to browse the websites, read newspapers, watch tv, etc. and if interested in any of the aforementioned topics and the one of yours also, they could check the thread and catch up.

Maybe an individual is short on cash and has no money to purchase several newspapers at once; maybe a family member is using the computer and their time is limited or nill. Then they could search the thread when they have availability and see if there's anything of interest to them. There's links to articles that I've missed and very glad that another OP directed us to them. There's articles out there that sometimes I wouldn't have thought of searching for but found to be of interest upon reading. Many opened my mind to new perspectives.

At any rate, it's evident the type of material posted. I would prefer to open the topic and do a little searching than to have to search the web for them. Also, if one has dial-up it could take a inordinate amount of time to pull up articles. So, there's several there.

It would be insane for me to post even two or three a day as a new topic. I wouldn't want to push other new topics further back. I've read a few complaints of this having been done unecessarily by a couple of individuals.

I meant if you posted info of relative interest under one topic I'd respect you for it and would definitely have an interest in viewing what you post. It's all contained instead of posted individually. Yes, it can be a search. It would really be a major endeavor to search for a certain article in the thread if I had articles relating to sports, road construction, jokes, latest designer handbags/sunglasses, and other non-related material. At least it's the same theme throughout.

I'd facillitate my own search, if using it, as to a certain month-day-year and what I knew was occurring around that time and hopefully something of interest would be there. That's all I can suggest. It's not a perfect world.

At least I'd have an idea of what I'd be reading instead of having to open up a link and be disappointed that I wasted time. That's why they're printed out. I think most know what they're getting when they open it.

Thanks for the count. I hadn't paid attention. I just like to get some information out there and as long as one person views it - I'm satisfied.

I hope you now have a better understanding of this. I wasn't being rude and apologize if you thought I was. Just a friendly suggestion.

BTW, if you find any follow-up articles on the Portland raid, please let me know. I might've missed them and I'd certainly be interested in reading them. That would be an excellent reason to start your own portal. I'd love to open it and be surprised by some good reads!

No problem, actually after I posted, I thought I was being rude. Sorry. Thanks for the explanation, you have put a lot of work into this, I just wasn't understanding how to access all of the articles according to topic. Now that you explained the date and time thing, it makes sense. I will try to stick on topic as well and create longer threads, according to topic, good tip!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeedHelpFast:
    No problem, actually after I posted, I thought I was being rude. Sorry. Thanks for the explanation, you have put a lot of work into this, I just wasn't understanding how to access all of the articles according to topic. Now that you explained the date and time thing, it makes sense. I will try to stick on topic as well and create longer threads, according to topic, good tip! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the best I can come up with, really. Yes, there's many and you'd have to have an idea of what time frame something was occurring. You might have to search an entire month to find it. But what can I say? It can be an effort. Then again, just an interesting read if nothing else, hopefully.

Obviously you have a desire to get info out. I think it's a way to get it out there and hope somebody has an interest and becomes more enlightened about an issue.

What's good about it, as I've said, is that after I get an idea of what you're about (your selections) then I know what to expect more or less. It has really aggravated me to open up links just to find articles that the OP was using to stir up controversy or was just way too repetitive.

I want to learn more, be aware of what's going on, and hopefully be opened up to perspectives I might've been blind to. I'm sure you'll select material that I might overlook or would never copy over. So, that helps me too. I'll know where to go to find specific material by you!

I'm really looking forward to your doing the same if you chose to. I'm sure it'll be better than some of the other trash, oops, material I've read in this forum by others.

Glad we agree!