50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Summons for jury duty

I've seen in the archive that this matter was discussed in 2003. Many things have changed since then so I'd like to propose to re-visit this topic. Specifically, how an undocumented alien responds to the summons? Obviously, an alien is disqualified from jury duty but now the Jury Commissioner requires a visa number or an A number on a juror's questionnaire. Equally obvious is a fact that there is no such number for an undocumented alien. How he is to respond to that? On one hand, a prospective juror has to provide truthful information under the penalty of perjury. On the other hand a juror's information is public and there is still a Fifth amendment allowing anyone not to incriminate oneself. Nevertheless, it seems awkward to plea the Fifth on a jury questionnaire. What seems to be a reasonable reply? I'll deeply appreciate your insights.

I've seen in the archive that this matter was discussed in 2003. Many things have changed since then so I'd like to propose to re-visit this topic. Specifically, how an undocumented alien responds to the summons? Obviously, an alien is disqualified from jury duty but now the Jury Commissioner requires a visa number or an A number on a juror's questionnaire. Equally obvious is a fact that there is no such number for an undocumented alien. How he is to respond to that? On one hand, a prospective juror has to provide truthful information under the penalty of perjury. On the other hand a juror's information is public and there is still a Fifth amendment allowing anyone not to incriminate oneself. Nevertheless, it seems awkward to plea the Fifth on a jury questionnaire. What seems to be a reasonable reply? I'll deeply appreciate your insights.

when i got my jury summons i sent back the reply with my passport number as the visa number,a couple of days later i received a letter that,i was excused from jury duty and to let them know if my circumstances changed.

how would and immigrant get a jury summons

they use the list from department of motor vehicles

I thought the driver's license history would say 'this person isn't a U.S. citizen.' I've seen it on driving histories. I don't know why they'd send a summons to an undocumented person.

It wouldn't surprise me if ICE would be there waiting. This might be another tactic they'll begin using.

I think it was Chuck who posted an update about his friend, Paco, that was a witness in a court hearing and they found out he was undocumented and arrested him.

If a person doesn't show up I thought they are sent a fine in the amt. of around $100. I'd rather pay the fine than show up.

One can anomously call a court clerk's office and ask how it's handled. Or call and ask what the procedure is to be exused.

If one is working out of town and not expected to be present during the time of the hearing they'll exuse you. You only need to have a good reason. You might be required to send a short letter to the judge (which s/he'd never read) and you'll be exused.

Who wants jury duty? I can't afford to sit there and lose wages.

Very interesting topic. It once again shows that in America, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing!!

I've been here for many years - when I came in 1985, I was undocumented, but had an Alien No. from when I applied - I was denied, but my A-Number was still active, always has been. Things prior to 9/11 where different. I too received jury duty notices every once in a while and remember that they actually asked whether you are an American or not. I checked the section that asked that (said of course that I am not) send it in and was done with it and didn't have to deal with them regarding this individual notice again. During the time after 9/11 and my filing in January of this year, I had received another jury duty summons and this time I just gave them my A-number. I had to go to court, as a stand-by, but never had to actually serve. I was just on-call. I thought if somebody would have caused me any problems in regards to this, I would have "crossed that bridge when I got there!", because my stance on this always was - I am trying to be an upstanding active individual/citizen and serving for jury duty is part of that. I don't think anyone would have been able to proof me wrong in that regard.

Since January of this year I am documented - haven't received my perm residency yet, but think I soon will.
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had received another jury duty summons and this time I just gave them my A-number. I had to go to court, as a stand-by, but never had to actually serve. I was just on-call. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't try it in the future. Only US citizens can serve on jury. Serving jury duty before becoming US citizen may be interpreted by USCIS as falsely claiming to be a US citizen - a deportable offense with no waiver available.

If served with jury duty summons your only response should be sending back a notice with the box "not a US citizen" checked.

But, don't you understand, I did give them my A-number, which means Alien Number - stating that I am an Alien. They still called me!
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire