free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: FBI Background & Name Check

Hi,

I would like to know if anybody needs a FBI background and name check after the interview for ADjustment of Status. By reading different posts, it seems that some people get their stamp I-551 at the time of the interview and then the green card shortly after in the mail, while others have been waiting looooong time after the interview. If anyone could explain I would appreciate.

Thank you

Hi,

I would like to know if anybody needs a FBI background and name check after the interview for ADjustment of Status. By reading different posts, it seems that some people get their stamp I-551 at the time of the interview and then the green card shortly after in the mail, while others have been waiting looooong time after the interview. If anyone could explain I would appreciate.

Thank you

READ THIS:

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/...eck+experience

You can also post about your experience here:

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/...d.php?t=174845

Read about N-400 namecheck-Hero Publicus here :

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/...ighlight=check

Good Luck,

IE

everybody goes through FBI background and name check. The difference is that some are cleared within days, and for others it may take weeks, months or even years.
    If the check is done by the time of the AOS interview, an alien becomes permanent resident. Otherwise, he/she has to wait for check to be completed.

I think even if it takes 40 years to "clear", as long as someone isn't a criminal, what difference to beneficiary the pending AOS makes as opposed to actual LPR ?
    One can still work, have EAD and get TP to travel.
    What more does one need?

The only question raised is: if it takes so many years to clear someone(in certain cases), then what is the effectiveness of the background check in terms of improving the National Security?

If someone is "bad", then the common sense dictates to find it out ASAP and detain/deport such person immediately, instead of allowing to stay in legal status for many years, while that person can freely work, travel and enjoy all the benefits of LPR.

Really doesn't make sense, if you look at it this way.

I agree in a way, but while waiting, alien has to keep renewing EAD and AP and paying for it. Will have to wait longer to be able to apply for citizenship...What if a divorce is on horizon?

Anyway, nobody likes being in a limbo...

It's actually interesting how it works:

Suppose your name is similar to a known criminal whose name is also in database.
    Obviously, there will be a "match".
    Next, a human personnel at FBI must actually go over the "match" and verify if the applicant and "match" are one and the same.
    If they have no personnel, or have one part-time guy for 50.000 applications a year, then it will be years before they find out that the applicant isn't a criminal/"bad guy".
    Limbo and inconvenience to applicant? Sure yes...

But what about National Secuyrity that the background check must serve in the first place?
    What if years pass and an actual criminal is not apprehended, because there was noone to look at and verify his/her identity?
    And all those years the CRIMINAL is able to renew EAD, AP , travel freely and enjoy all the benefits of LPR!
    How about that?

Speeding the background checks for AOS applicants is not a matter of conveniencing or pleasing aliens - foremost of all it's a matter of serving National Security!

Regards,

IE

It is really ridiculos in the first place to allow people inside even without checking. There are so many ways to check their background in first place even before they start their journey to immigrate. In employement based category, this check is conducted in the final stages, where the person willing to migrate might have already spent years in US.

What a kind of security system in place? If some one want to sneek in and create a problem, by this time their background is verified, they might have did what they want to do and might have gone long back!

Why con't they check these in first place itself before allowing anyone inside? I think commonsense and USCIS are both in the opposite poles!

Nope, not a USCIS fault because Beackground checks are FBI responsibility.
    Not FBIs fault either - they simply lack resourses.
    In this case it is Congress that needs to fund what it requires Federal Agencies to do.