50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Change of Address

I sent in a change of address form when I moved to my new address, the INS keeps sending their letters to my old address. I have a change of status interview in September, should I point out their mistake then or should I just send in another form right away. I sent my first from to their offices in Washington DC, which was stated on the form, is this the right place to send it to or do I send it to my local INS office. Thanks Andrea

I sent in a change of address form when I moved to my new address, the INS keeps sending their letters to my old address. I have a change of status interview in September, should I point out their mistake then or should I just send in another form right away. I sent my first from to their offices in Washington DC, which was stated on the form, is this the right place to send it to or do I send it to my local INS office. Thanks Andrea

Send it to your local office where the AOS is pending -- strange though how do you know 6 months in advance the date of your interview...

Oops sorry, the date of your interview is only 1 month after your posting -- I confused "August" for "April"!

Actually, China, I knew about my interview nine months before, so six months wouldn't be unusual.

Change of Address is only needed when you have some application pending with the Immigration (AOS, N, and so on.)

The form AR-11 is required even if you do not have a current application pending. Although this form does comply with the US regulations that you notify the INS of a change of address, it will not change the address on any pending applications. That must be done separately through the local office that is working on your petition.

Even if you are LPR you are supposed to notify a change of address..even after 20 years of been LPR.

Just to be on the safe side, send the change of address form to the local, and the address they say to sent it to on the form. Include a letter that states the error, also. Send it all certified and keep copies of everything. After your interview, some of those letters come registered mail, and they won't deliver to the old address, if they messed up, after all you've done, and you don't receive your letter, you have grounds to appeal if they later try to say you abandoned your petition. Meanwhile, point out the error at the interview as well. (same thing happened to me, I did all the above, and when he sent the approval, he still sent it incorrectly!) I did manage to get it though.