free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Need some advice.

Hi
    My daughter a US citizen and son in law from Canada have been married 3 years. They submitted all the papers and are in the final stages of getting approved for a green card. The amount of time before their final hearing will be a few months from now, probably around September. The problem is that they are beginning to have marital problems and have been living apart now. They are trying to work things out but don't know if it's possible to do so. Question is what would happen to my Son in law if they decide to divorce after he gets his green card? I am worried sick about this, they have invested so much time and money into the process and their marriage is uncertain. Her husband is a great guy, very hard working but they are drifting apart. What will happen at the hearing? What questions will they be asked. I can tell you the wedding and marriage were very real, I have the $25,000.00 bills for the wedding to prove it LOL.

Hi
    My daughter a US citizen and son in law from Canada have been married 3 years. They submitted all the papers and are in the final stages of getting approved for a green card. The amount of time before their final hearing will be a few months from now, probably around September. The problem is that they are beginning to have marital problems and have been living apart now. They are trying to work things out but don't know if it's possible to do so. Question is what would happen to my Son in law if they decide to divorce after he gets his green card? I am worried sick about this, they have invested so much time and money into the process and their marriage is uncertain. Her husband is a great guy, very hard working but they are drifting apart. What will happen at the hearing? What questions will they be asked. I can tell you the wedding and marriage were very real, I have the $25,000.00 bills for the wedding to prove it LOL.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Irene48:
    Question is what would happen to my Son in law if they decide to divorce after he gets his green card? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nothing

Since they have been married for more than 2 years, after the interview (where they have to prove they are a married couple), he'll most likely get 10 year green card. And that's it, he is on his own....
    Maybe, if and when he applys for naturalization, the fact that he got GC in Sep and divorced in Oct may be questioned.

Read this case:

Matter of McKee, 17 I & N Dec. 332

Thank you so much for your replies. I am sorry though, I don't know where to find Matter of McKee, 17 N dec.332??????

Can someone advise how to search for it.

Irene, if (God forbid)the marriage ends then you should not be worried about your son-in-law. Let him take care of his own matters. From your post I can tell that you are a kind hearted lady and you want to see this marriage continue. As you wrote that your son-in-law is a great guy then why don't you try to change your daughter's mind? tell her to cooperate with him and let the marriage continue.