free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Sponsoring parents

Hello,
    I am a naturalized citizen over 21. My parents have expressed an interest in coming to the US for their retirment (stepdad is already retired). I have been doing some research, but am still confused as to what I need to do.
    During the petition, my parents will remain in Switzerland.
    What exactly do I need to file and in what sequence?
    I know the I-130 is first, but when do I file the I-485?
    Once the I-130 is approved, can my parents come to the US or do they hav to wait for the I-485?
    Finally, what is the expected processing time? They will have to sell their house in Switzerland prior to coming to the US, should they do that upon approval of I-130?
    Any advice and input is greatly appreciated!

Hello,
    I am a naturalized citizen over 21. My parents have expressed an interest in coming to the US for their retirment (stepdad is already retired). I have been doing some research, but am still confused as to what I need to do.
    During the petition, my parents will remain in Switzerland.
    What exactly do I need to file and in what sequence?
    I know the I-130 is first, but when do I file the I-485?
    Once the I-130 is approved, can my parents come to the US or do they hav to wait for the I-485?
    Finally, what is the expected processing time? They will have to sell their house in Switzerland prior to coming to the US, should they do that upon approval of I-130?
    Any advice and input is greatly appreciated!

It's quite straight forward as far as your mother is concerned. You just have to file an I-130 on her behalf and the process will take its due course that will last more or less a year. The approved I-130 will be forwarded to the NVC then to the US consulate in Switzerland that will contact your mother for her visa. It's called consular visa processing and there's no need for an I-485.

For your stepdad, here's how it is. Under US immigration law, you may only file a petition for him if the marriage that created the step-relationship took place before you turned 18. If so, the process is the same as above.

Thank you for your answer. Yes, the marriage took place prior to my 18th birthday, so no issues there.

So once the I-130 is approved, they get their Greencard? I don't remember it being quite that easy in my case (but I was here on a student visa). Also, once they receive their LPR status, do they have to come to the US right away or will they get some time to tie up loose ends?

Hi,

The I -130 does not give anyone a green card. The I -130 only means that you have some grounds to petition for an immidiate relative alien to come to the U.S or to adjust status in the U.S, depending on their circumstances. The I-130 will give you grounds to apply for an Immigrant Visa on their behalf with the NVC. After the process is completed (as stated above by Rough Neighbor) and they attend their interview, they will then recieve the immigrant visa from the U.S consulate of the competent jurisdiction (where they applied for the immigrant visa.) They do not have to come to the U.S right away. Each consular post is different, they will probably have a few months after they are approved to travel to the U.S. Keep in mind they must travel by the date set by the consular office.

Good luck!!!!

Thanks....alright, so I apply on their behalf for the I-130. Once approved, they have to go to an interview at the embassy in Switzerland. And what type of visa will they receive or be eligible for? When do I apply for their greencard?

They will get ones of these, an immigrant visa or IV:

Once the IV is activated (they arrive here) they should receive the "Green Card" within a month or less. They enter in IV status which qualifies them for a GC. You don't have to apply for anything else.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."