publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Renewing Green card for children turning 14?

I am in panic mode now as I read that I am supposed to renew my son's Green card 30 days prior to his 14th birthday.

I have looked around for information about it but I am getting confused.

I can't find his GC right now (somewhere in house lol) but I am sure it is valid for 10yrs and has the expiration date for that date.

Is it true I have to renew it before he is 14?
    He has only had it for 2 yrs, so why does he need it renewing?

Does anyone know what happens if I don't renew it, as right now I can't. He will be 14 in less than 30 days now. To be honest I have not heard of this until now, so now I am panicking. Never have I had anything from USCIS or the letter that came with the GC that said I had to do this.

Or am I misreading what I read?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

I am in panic mode now as I read that I am supposed to renew my son's Green card 30 days prior to his 14th birthday.

I have looked around for information about it but I am getting confused.

I can't find his GC right now (somewhere in house lol) but I am sure it is valid for 10yrs and has the expiration date for that date.

Is it true I have to renew it before he is 14?
    He has only had it for 2 yrs, so why does he need it renewing?

Does anyone know what happens if I don't renew it, as right now I can't. He will be 14 in less than 30 days now. To be honest I have not heard of this until now, so now I am panicking. Never have I had anything from USCIS or the letter that came with the GC that said I had to do this.

Or am I misreading what I read?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it looks as though you have to according to the I-90 form.

It basically states "2. Within 30 days after reaching your 14th birthday,to replace a card issued before your 14th birthday."

It appears you still have some time to find his Green card since you have to do it after his Birthday.

Thank you Lyric, I didn't see the 'after' your birthday bit. At least I still have time then.

I don't understand why they issued a card with a 10yr expiration date on it then when they have to renew it sooner. I am so glad I came across that today, I would never have known.

I can't get to the USCIS for biometrics as its over 100 miles away, ahhh more panic.

Thank you for clarifying that for me, I was not sure whether I misread that or not.

I have another question if someone could answer please,

If I file for a fee waiver, and I don't have any supporting documents how do I get around this?

I don't have any income (even though I am supposed to via spousal support) and I cannot receive benefits, I don't have anything to show them, except a bank statement showing zero.

In case those who don't know, I am going through a divorce.

What supporting documents do you think I should provide them in proving I don't have the means to pay for the biometrics fee?

Also I would like to know whether I need the affidavit or sworn document notarized?

Any suggestions please?