50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Question about affidavit of support

This will take time to explain, so sorry for having to read so much.
    I'm an American citizen living in Morocco for the past 2 1/2 years. My husband asked me to move here and live with him, as he didn't want to leave his aging parents. I agreed, but in the hopes he might change his mind, I made an application in his name for the Diversity Visa before I came here. His name was chosen. I was so HAPPY!!! I told him it was a show that it was our fate to live in USA. Yeah, a little brain washing on my part, but necessity has no law and living in Morocco is hell! Most days, I stay at home due to the fact when I venture out, there is at least one man or even boys for God's sake; ask me for ***. Keep in mind, that I never wear revealing clothes, I'm almost 40, overweight, and try to avoid direct eye contact. I have had a rape attempt made against me while taking a walk near our home. I was hit by a motorcyclist on purpose. A boy asking for something to eat came in my home to rob me. A drunk man back-handed me in the mouth while I was coming back to my home. It goes on and on. As for the affidavit of support, I was sure my husband would take the Diversity Visa, but they stopped before his number (under the 50,000). I had called the USA Diversity Center and was informed his case would be reviewed in the summer and don't worry about it. Big joke. So, here we are stuck in this hell hole. I can't sign an affidavit of support because I have been here too long and not enough assists to fulfill the requirements. We have asked friends and family of both of ours in the USA, first they say OK and then later to hell no.
    The question is this---- is there any way to get around the affidavit of support or to show in any other way he will not become a public charge? I have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and he has several work certifications. Is there hope or are we screwed? PS- I never filed the I-130 or K3 for I know the case would be denied for the lack of the affidavit of support.

This will take time to explain, so sorry for having to read so much.
    I'm an American citizen living in Morocco for the past 2 1/2 years. My husband asked me to move here and live with him, as he didn't want to leave his aging parents. I agreed, but in the hopes he might change his mind, I made an application in his name for the Diversity Visa before I came here. His name was chosen. I was so HAPPY!!! I told him it was a show that it was our fate to live in USA. Yeah, a little brain washing on my part, but necessity has no law and living in Morocco is hell! Most days, I stay at home due to the fact when I venture out, there is at least one man or even boys for God's sake; ask me for ***. Keep in mind, that I never wear revealing clothes, I'm almost 40, overweight, and try to avoid direct eye contact. I have had a rape attempt made against me while taking a walk near our home. I was hit by a motorcyclist on purpose. A boy asking for something to eat came in my home to rob me. A drunk man back-handed me in the mouth while I was coming back to my home. It goes on and on. As for the affidavit of support, I was sure my husband would take the Diversity Visa, but they stopped before his number (under the 50,000). I had called the USA Diversity Center and was informed his case would be reviewed in the summer and don't worry about it. Big joke. So, here we are stuck in this hell hole. I can't sign an affidavit of support because I have been here too long and not enough assists to fulfill the requirements. We have asked friends and family of both of ours in the USA, first they say OK and then later to hell no.
    The question is this---- is there any way to get around the affidavit of support or to show in any other way he will not become a public charge? I have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and he has several work certifications. Is there hope or are we screwed? PS- I never filed the I-130 or K3 for I know the case would be denied for the lack of the affidavit of support.

Hello Baddabing,

I feel your pain.

I lived in Morocco for many years while students. So, I have an idea about what you are talking about. It's usually difficult for foreigners, especially for women since the society is not that open to the rest of the worl. That's said, there are very open minded moroccans I met there. So, this comment is for the general population, dont take offense.

As for your situation, there are other possibilities. I once heard that if you are USC and work in a religious organization oversea, you could petition for your spouse. Have you considered that possibility? There got to be a way around it.

You are in a particular situation, so dont try to get thru the normal process. It wont work. Keep looking on the USCIS website for exceptions. Dont count on a lawyer to help you for that, you have to read deep in the documents if you really wants to escape from Morocco with your Hubby.
    Good luck.

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure IF and when we will find an answer to our problem. I have contacted everyone I can find. All I hear about is I must give an affidavit of support and due to living here for an extended period of time, I must have a co-signer. When they read it, they run fast and furious. There must be some way to get around it, but that way is beyond me. Additionally, you're correct about a lawyer. All they want to do is summit papers for their fee. I can fill out papers myself. The loophole for the affidavit of support is my only obstacle. Are there any other ways to prove he will not take public aid????