free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congress Act

My wife's has been told that there is a way she could become a resident if she presents her situation to our congressman. She was told a congressman can make an act just for her since she has an overwhelming story. (She entered illegally to the U.S. when she was 3 years old (too young to know waht she was doing), graduated college with honors, is a Bible Study teacher, helps feed the homeless, and has won various awards from the university and state including one for the "Most Outstanding Graduating Senior" from her university.)
    The person who told her is very involved with various congressmen. She told one of them her situation and they told her about that "act" which would only appply for her (becasue of her "overwhelming story') Have any of you heard of anything like this?
    By the way, any recommnedations of any good immigration lawyers in So Cal?
    Thanks

My wife's has been told that there is a way she could become a resident if she presents her situation to our congressman. She was told a congressman can make an act just for her since she has an overwhelming story. (She entered illegally to the U.S. when she was 3 years old (too young to know waht she was doing), graduated college with honors, is a Bible Study teacher, helps feed the homeless, and has won various awards from the university and state including one for the "Most Outstanding Graduating Senior" from her university.)
    The person who told her is very involved with various congressmen. She told one of them her situation and they told her about that "act" which would only appply for her (becasue of her "overwhelming story') Have any of you heard of anything like this?
    By the way, any recommnedations of any good immigration lawyers in So Cal?
    Thanks

Dear Hansel,
    I talked to a very good lawyer in L.A. a few months ago, with very strong recommendations. I spoke to her on the phone a couple of times, but it didn't work for me because I am not in California. I could try to find her phone number again, if you are interested. Just let me know! Your wife sounds like a very smart, capable person, so I am sure that if there is such an act, she will get approved for it! Good luck!

Thanks Vesi,
    If you could find that number it would be great. Thanks. What part of California?

L.A. Sorry I missed that part before my reply

I will look for it as soon as I go home in a couple of hours. I will be glad to help.

Thanks Vesi,
    That's very kind of you.

Diane Feinstein has sponsored special bills like that before.
    Have a nice day

Hi, Hansel!
    I found the number. I just wanted to ask you if you are registered to that other board: immigrate2us.net, and if you are- what's your user name there? This board doesn't let me send you a private message, while the other one does. Let me know, and if you prefer, I will post it here.

A Congressmen can sponsor all the private bills they want. Sponsoring doesn't guarantee it being passed by Congress. Her story doesn't go beyond the ranks of petting her on the back vs. awarding her with permanent residency. Private bills award permanent residence to people that provided extraordinary services/information for the U.S. government, like Iraqi/Iranian nuclear defector scientists, a son of the former Soviet leader Khrushchev, etc. Are you getting the picture?

Illegal entry still permits you to petition her as an alien relative (I-130) but it prevents her from adjusting her status while in the U.S. (I-485).

In my opinion, the only way she can legalize is to go through consular processing abroad for a K-3 non-immigrant visa (I-130 pending) and continue adjusting status in the U.S. or return as an conditional resident (CR1) if her I-130 is approved and forwarded to the embassy/consulate. Either way will require a waiver of a 10 year ban for illegal entry/presence. (I-601)