free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream Act

I'm surprised noone is posting info on Dream Act amendment. We have a Latino dropout rate that is very high and part of the reason for this may be the large number of undocumented young Latinos see little use in continueing their education because they are unable to afford out of state tuition. The Dream Act would partly remedy this situation. Many of these kids were brought here by their parents when they had no part in the decision. These kids should not be wasted. Let's give them the chance to go on to college at a reasonable cost and we all win. They wein because they better their lives and we all win because they are not burdens on society and are productive members of our communities.

I hope you will all call your state Senators this week and encourage them to vote FOR the Durban/Hagel Dream Act amendent.

Thank you for helping. Chuck

I'm surprised noone is posting info on Dream Act amendment. We have a Latino dropout rate that is very high and part of the reason for this may be the large number of undocumented young Latinos see little use in continueing their education because they are unable to afford out of state tuition. The Dream Act would partly remedy this situation. Many of these kids were brought here by their parents when they had no part in the decision. These kids should not be wasted. Let's give them the chance to go on to college at a reasonable cost and we all win. They wein because they better their lives and we all win because they are not burdens on society and are productive members of our communities.

I hope you will all call your state Senators this week and encourage them to vote FOR the Durban/Hagel Dream Act amendent.

Thank you for helping. Chuck

OK let us clarify somethings folks.

1. STATE SENATORS represent you in your home state. They are NOT the Senators in Washington DC that would vote on National matters such as immigration; that would be your US SENATOR.
    For God's sake please understand the structure of our government.

2. It is a myth that we need a nation of college graduates and a college education is the only way to succeed. I myself have several degrees including a Doctorate's degree. Most of my blue collar friends make much more money than me; usually they make in excess of $150K per year. The richest men in the world never graduated college (Bill Gates, Larry Ellison to name a couple). Police offficers, small business owners, plumbers, electricians, construction workers, etc.... all make much more (more than double) than the average college graduate and generally do not require college degrees.

3. The Dream Act (it wuld be a second) one is never going to pass. It was a nightmare the first time. Why waste efforts on the Dream Act when immigration activists should work for a comprehensive immmigration reform bill that would alleviate the burden on millions of people rather than helping a handful? Also it is NOT an amendment but a bill. An amendment requires 2/3 of the states to amend the Constitution and this law does not require the Constitution to be changed.

How can you make such misstatements about the basic structure of our country and then cry that you want to be part of it?

Darkforce---My quote refers to "your state(s) senators" not state senators. May I was not specific enough but I meant call the Senators from your state that represent you in Washington. Thanks for the clarification. CALL NOW to express your support for the Dream Act amendment. It really is important.

Darkforce. O.K. It should be U S Senators from your state.

Now for your number 2 and 3.

2. I completely agree, not all need a college education. But for those that want to practice medicice, etc one must go to higher education. Lets let thse that wish to contribute in this way have the chance.

3. Yes, there was a Dream Act and it failed. Now there is a Dream Act amendment introduced this week in the U S Senate. You need to keep up a little better.

Dunno where you lie, but your basic premise is just very wrong, most around here never get as far as finishing High School.

Yeah, Darkforce, here's the exact excerpt: "The Senate is scheduled to resume debate this week on the Department of Defense authorization bill (H.R. 1585), which was pulled from the floor in July. Majority Whip Richard J. Durbin (D-IL) is expected to offer the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act (DREAM Act) as an amendment to the bill when it eventually comes to the floor. The DREAM Act would facilitate access to college for immigrant students in the U.S and provide a path to permanent residence for ambitious immigrant youth who were brought to the U.S. as young children and who want to pursue higher education or military service."

Yeah, Chuck, posters should be careful with their information especially if delivered on a public forum, well, with an air of, what's the word.....? arrogance!

Theone-- I have a personal stake in one such youth that was an honor student in H.S. and wants to go to medical school and the Dream Act amendment is important to him. Even if it effects only a few don't you think it's important? Maybe the school in your area doesn't encourage the students. Here we do.

...I think that this would be better referred to as the Bad-Dream Act - as the only ones who would get the shaft would be the American people.

Hispanics fail to graduate high school at startling rates for reasons that have NOTHING to do with whether the Bad-Dream Act passes or doesn't pass.

The DREAM Act is indeed being proposed as an Amendment to the Defense Appropriations Bill. It is now considered an Amendment to a bill, nothing to do with a "constitutional amendment"...

But more importantly perhaps, the House is holding hearings on STRIVE. A little too late if you ask me.

In al honesty, I don't think DREAM Act will pass, they didn't even vote to grant the troops a little more time home! But CIR is just a matter of time, it will eventually pass.