free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wife's last name

My wife is from Russia and I seem to have to give some thought to her last name. Social Security knows her by her Russian last name, as she got her SSN soon after she entered the US. On her driver's license, she uses my last name. Her green card also uses my last name. Soon, she will renew her Russian international passport, which uses her Russian name. One reason, I guess, for having one last name on all her documents is in the situation where she buys a plane ticket to Russia. When she goes to the airline ticket counter to check in, her last name on the ticket will not match the last name on one of the documents that is requried to enter either the US or Russia. So, I suppose that when she renews her Russian international passport, that she should have her last name appear the same as it does on the green card.

If you are still reading, thanks, that may have been a bit rambling.

Can you comment on this situation? Are there any other last name scenarios that I need to be aware of?

My wife is from Russia and I seem to have to give some thought to her last name. Social Security knows her by her Russian last name, as she got her SSN soon after she entered the US. On her driver's license, she uses my last name. Her green card also uses my last name. Soon, she will renew her Russian international passport, which uses her Russian name. One reason, I guess, for having one last name on all her documents is in the situation where she buys a plane ticket to Russia. When she goes to the airline ticket counter to check in, her last name on the ticket will not match the last name on one of the documents that is requried to enter either the US or Russia. So, I suppose that when she renews her Russian international passport, that she should have her last name appear the same as it does on the green card.

If you are still reading, thanks, that may have been a bit rambling.

Can you comment on this situation? Are there any other last name scenarios that I need to be aware of?

Hi David,

I don't know all the legal ramifications, but wouldn't it be easier if she had the same name on all her identifying documents? Did she take your last name when you married her? If so, I believe all documents should reflect the married name.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
    I agree. As the dominant male your wife should subordinate herself in all respects. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wishful thinking davdah? LOL
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

For practical purposes she should have and use one last name. She is the perfect candidate for an employment denial by E-Verify. But for things like the airline ticket the practical effects can be significant. For instance, the airline might note the different names on ticket, green card and passport, resulting in a denial of bording.

But, if she is instant on retaining her last name that might be a clue that she is planning on divorcing you after two years.

I think Brit has domination fantacies about you Davdah!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by federale86:
    For practical purposes she should have and use one last name. She is the perfect candidate for an employment denial by E-Verify. But for things like the airline ticket the practical effects can be significant. For instance, the airline might note the different names on ticket, green card and passport, resulting in a denial of bording.

But, if she is instant on retaining her last name that might be a clue that she is planning on divorcing you after two years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

She won't divorce me. (darn it) And, there's no chance that she'll get a job anytime soon. I did not give the correct impression. She wants to get her name changed on all documents, to her married name. I guess I was asking if I had forgotten anything. Besides foreign passport and name on file with the SS people, and given that the driver's license and green card already use her married name, are there any other name change points that I need to hit?

That's not new, in many countries for example many of the Muslims wife's do not change her last name to her husbands mostly.
    this is the fact..
    I have also seen an U.S. Born she did not changed her last name to her husband as well.
    Some of the Russian also do the same...which is not very common in the U.S.
    But she will face some problem at the time of her entery
    She must have all her document in her last name or in her husbands last name...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">She won't divorce me. (darn it) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too funny.

I'm not an immigrant, but when I married too many years ago, I had to change my name on the driver's license, SSN, bank accounts, credit cards, and health insurance. I'm probably missing something, but if I think of anything, I'll come back.

Many Russian do the same kind of two last names ...It;s my view in case they (USCIS) do not allow her to live in the U.S. She can easly go back to her country if she chaned her name they do have some kind of problems. there was a thread on this board during 1999/2001 it was the same kind of question...
    They should contact the USCIS.