Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel to Vietnam with green card that expires in less than 6 months

Hello all,
    My wife's green card will be expired in 6/29/2007. She came here on Jan 17, 2005 with the k1-visa. We want to travel to Vietnam on Jan 30, 2007 and return to US on Feb 24, 2007. Is there any problem when she returns to US? If there is, what do I need to do to avoid the problem? The travel agent told me that she cannot travel internationally with green card that expires in less than 6 months.

Thank you very much for your help!

Hello all,
    My wife's green card will be expired in 6/29/2007. She came here on Jan 17, 2005 with the k1-visa. We want to travel to Vietnam on Jan 30, 2007 and return to US on Feb 24, 2007. Is there any problem when she returns to US? If there is, what do I need to do to avoid the problem? The travel agent told me that she cannot travel internationally with green card that expires in less than 6 months.

Thank you very much for your help!

I believe that your travel agent is incorrect. Your wife should be able to easily return to America, as her Green Card will still be valid (and she will not be overseas for more than six months).

In order for a nonimmigrant to enter the United States, their passport must have a period of validity in excess of six months, so perhaps your travel agent is assuming that the same applies to Green Cards.

Thank you SunDevilUSA.
    Do you know the websites or web pages that I can read more about this? I googled the topic, but I couldn't find anything. Who do I ask and how do I know for sure that there will be no troubles when we come bach to US from Vietnam?
    Thanks

Shouldn't have any prob dealing with greencard being expired on June 07. However, be sure to have Re-entry permit - that is required for greencard holder to re-enter the US. Wish yo a great Vnese new-year fest., bro.

Hi marvin,
    Accordign to this http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...nts_needed.xml
    when traveling with the Green Card, no re-entry permit needed. Can you give the website that has the document about that?

A permanent resident only needs a reentry permit if they intend to remain ouside of the country for a period exceeding one year, but less than two years.

For a short overseas visit, a valid Green Card and a valid passport are all that are required for reentry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">SunDevilUSA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    So, there is no different between Conditional Resident and Lawful Permanent Resident. They both need a valid Green Card and a valid passport for reentry.

As far as reentry to America is concerned, there is no difference between a Conditional Permanent Resident and a Lawful Permanent Resident...both require a valid Green Card and a valid passport for reentry after a short visit overseas.

Once a Conditional Resident has successfully removed their conditions on residency, the time spent in Conditional status is counted as being Lawful Permanent Residence for all purposes, including Naturalization. Conditional Residence is simply a bureaucratic roadblock that enables USCIS to further assess the validity of those marriages of fewer than two years' duration at the time of adjustment.

Thank you very much for your help. Now, I am sure that we can go to Vietnam and return to the US without any problem.